SHEFFIELD, UNITED KINGDOM -- (Marketwire) -- 03/10/13 -- Hot off the interior design catwalk is news that one of this year's biggest trends will involve a household staple that just about everyone owns - the humble mirror.
But forget buying brand new, because this season designers are encouraging people to give their old mirrors a facelift, to get creative and recycle their favourites into new and exciting focal points.
Specialist online mirror retailer Mr Mirror said: "Mirrors are just one of those accessories that almost everyone owns, but long gone are the days when they were simply used to check your appearance.
"Now they're used as decorative pieces, designed to make a statement and add instant impact to a room. They are also carefully positioned to reflect light and add an illusion of space in smaller rooms or when natural light is lacking.
"It's great to see that people are being encouraged to recycle their old mirrors. Big or small, square or round, modern or ornate - even the simplest of mirrors can be transformed and given a whole new lease of life.
"There is a lot that can be done to bring old or unloved mirrors back to life. It's simple to do and cost-effective - all that's needed is a little bit of time, a touch of inspiration and a lot of creativity."
And with so many possibilities, it's easy to see why mirror makeovers are going to be popular this year:
1. Paint it: If your mirror is wood framed, you can paint it in a shade to match or contrast with your room's decor.
If it's metal framed, spray paint is another option. Either way, you can turn a simple mirror into a bright, vibrant statement in just a few brushstrokes.
2. Stencil it - it may seem a touch old fashioned, but stencils can be a good way to add interest to your mirror and tie it in with a theme, such as floral, for example.
3. Embellish it - add texture and interest by embellishing your mirror. Bring the outdoors in with twigs, or use ceramic tiles in kitchens or bathrooms.
4. Frame it - if your mirror is just a plain, flat square, rectangle or circle, buy a frame and give it instant appeal. Or take it to a framing specialist who will offer a much wider choice and can custom-build your frame to match your colour scheme or theme.
If you're seeking inspiration, you will find all the ideas you need at Mr Mirror's antique mirrors and Mr Mirror big mirrors web pages.
0845 453 0172
Most Popular Stories
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Gets Key Support in House
- TFA Recruiting DACA Recipients
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- Scotch Whisky Sales Raise Distillers' Spirits
- Holiday Shopping Off to a Slow Start This Season
- Health Coverage Disparities Emerge Among States
- Fake Deaf Interpreter Was Hallucinating, Has Schizophrenia
- Tea Party Glum in Face of Bipartisan Budget Deal
- Budget Deal Will Cut 220,000 Californians Out of Jobless Benefits