HARTFORD, CT -- (Marketwire) -- 03/01/13 -- The following statement may be attributed to Matt Fleury, President & CEO of the Connecticut Science Center
Re: Rep. Hewett's remarks at Public Hearing
A participant in one of the Connecticut Science Center's youth programs volunteered to testify on the Science Center's behalf at a recent public hearing. I was in the audience with her and her mother and grandmother.
She spoke effectively, after which there were some affirming comments from members of the panel. Neither the student, her family members nor I clearly heard Representative Hewett's comment and we were unaware that anything that could be perceived as offensive had been said until reading news accounts.
Tonight I called Representative Hewett, who emphatically apologized. We believe him to be sincere. We have passed his apology on to the student, and she has accepted it.
We are honoring her desire to maintain her privacy.
Director of Marketing & PR
Connecticut Science Center
Phone: (860) 520-2116
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- GM Boosting China Production Capacity
- Jack White Records Songs, Releases Vinyl in Hours
- 420 Pot Holiday Tries To Go Mainstream
- Automakers Turn to China to Fuel Sales Growth
- Malaysia, Flight 370 Relatives Talk Financial Help
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Delay in Ferry Evacuation Puzzles Maritime Experts
- Report: Next Iran Nuclear Talks Set for New York
- Easter morning delivery for space station