HARTFORD, CT -- (Marketwire) -- 03/01/13 -- The following statement may be attributed to Matt Fleury, President & CEO of the Connecticut Science Center
Re: Rep. Hewett's remarks at Public Hearing
A participant in one of the Connecticut Science Center's youth programs volunteered to testify on the Science Center's behalf at a recent public hearing. I was in the audience with her and her mother and grandmother.
She spoke effectively, after which there were some affirming comments from members of the panel. Neither the student, her family members nor I clearly heard Representative Hewett's comment and we were unaware that anything that could be perceived as offensive had been said until reading news accounts.
Tonight I called Representative Hewett, who emphatically apologized. We believe him to be sincere. We have passed his apology on to the student, and she has accepted it.
We are honoring her desire to maintain her privacy.
Director of Marketing & PR
Connecticut Science Center
Phone: (860) 520-2116
Most Popular Stories
- Consumer Prices Edge Up, Surprising Economists
- Market Jolt Offers a Reality Check for Investors
- Clinton Rallies New England Women
- Do Voters Want Compromise?
- Stocks Close Out Best Week in Nearly 2 Years
- Timeline for New York Ebola Doctor
- Ebola in New York, Mali Raises Travel Jitters
- Steris to Add 100 Jobs in Birmingham
- Microsoft Earnings Drive Stocks Higher
- 'Kissing Congressman' Admits Mistake in Reelection Bid