HARTFORD, CT -- (Marketwire) -- 03/01/13 -- The following statement may be attributed to Matt Fleury, President & CEO of the Connecticut Science Center
Re: Rep. Hewett's remarks at Public Hearing
A participant in one of the Connecticut Science Center's youth programs volunteered to testify on the Science Center's behalf at a recent public hearing. I was in the audience with her and her mother and grandmother.
She spoke effectively, after which there were some affirming comments from members of the panel. Neither the student, her family members nor I clearly heard Representative Hewett's comment and we were unaware that anything that could be perceived as offensive had been said until reading news accounts.
Tonight I called Representative Hewett, who emphatically apologized. We believe him to be sincere. We have passed his apology on to the student, and she has accepted it.
We are honoring her desire to maintain her privacy.
Director of Marketing & PR
Connecticut Science Center
Phone: (860) 520-2116
Most Popular Stories
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Republican Jolly Wins Fla. Special Election
- Senate Dems Pull All-Nighter on Global Warming
- Copper Plunges on China Jitters
- Obama Seeks Overtime Pay for Salaried Workers
- U.S. Stocks Sink for 3rd Day in a Row
- Vestas Ramps Up Hiring to Build Wind Turbines
- Justin Bieber Comes Between Taylor Swift and Selena Gomez
- World Wide Web Turns 25
- Dianne Feinstein Accuses CIA of Spying on Congress