HARTFORD, CT -- (Marketwire) -- 03/01/13 -- The following statement may be attributed to Matt Fleury, President & CEO of the Connecticut Science Center
Re: Rep. Hewett's remarks at Public Hearing
A participant in one of the Connecticut Science Center's youth programs volunteered to testify on the Science Center's behalf at a recent public hearing. I was in the audience with her and her mother and grandmother.
She spoke effectively, after which there were some affirming comments from members of the panel. Neither the student, her family members nor I clearly heard Representative Hewett's comment and we were unaware that anything that could be perceived as offensive had been said until reading news accounts.
Tonight I called Representative Hewett, who emphatically apologized. We believe him to be sincere. We have passed his apology on to the student, and she has accepted it.
We are honoring her desire to maintain her privacy.
Director of Marketing & PR
Connecticut Science Center
Phone: (860) 520-2116
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- Gas Prices May Jump from Calif. Emissions Law
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time