Florida authorities said a 36-year-old man disappeared into a large sinkhole that opened under his house and was presumed dead.
The man was swallowed up while he was in a collapsing bedroom of the house in Brandon, investigators said.
The hole was up to 100 feet wide and still growing Friday.
The house started to collapse when the sinkhole opened up under the house Thursday night and the man fell in despite his brother's efforts to save him, WPTV, Tampa, reported.
The first law enforcement officer on the scene pulled the victim's brother from the end of the chasm.
Authorities deemed the badly damaged house unsafe for rescuers, WPTV, Tampa, Fla. said.
Listening devices and cameras were placed in the hole but there had been no contact with the missing man, WPTV said.
Crews said the rest of the building could collapse at any time.
WPTV said other homes in the area had been evacuated.
UPDATE: AP has identified the man as Jeremy Bush and is running this undated photograph of him.
Most Popular Stories
- Apple Planning to Launch Mobile Wallet
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- Durant Spurns Under Armour to Return to Nike
- Netflix Unveils New Way to Share Picks
- Challenge to Texas Voter ID Begins
- Men Are the Big Winners in the Jobs Recovery
- Construction Spending Staged Strong Rebound in July
- Auto Industry Going Back to Bad Habits
- Celebrities Vow Revenge on Hackers Who Posted Photos
- Manufacturing in U.S. at Fastest Pace in 3-1/2 Years