Florida authorities said a 36-year-old man disappeared into a large sinkhole that opened under his house and was presumed dead.
The man was swallowed up while he was in a collapsing bedroom of the house in Brandon, investigators said.
The hole was up to 100 feet wide and still growing Friday.
The house started to collapse when the sinkhole opened up under the house Thursday night and the man fell in despite his brother's efforts to save him, WPTV, Tampa, reported.
The first law enforcement officer on the scene pulled the victim's brother from the end of the chasm.
Authorities deemed the badly damaged house unsafe for rescuers, WPTV, Tampa, Fla. said.
Listening devices and cameras were placed in the hole but there had been no contact with the missing man, WPTV said.
Crews said the rest of the building could collapse at any time.
WPTV said other homes in the area had been evacuated.
UPDATE: AP has identified the man as Jeremy Bush and is running this undated photograph of him.
Most Popular Stories
- Study: Recessions Can Postpone Motherhood Forever
- Hispanic Entrepreneurs Short-changed in Texas
- Hispanics Carry Big Clout: Census
- Washington's 'The Equalizer' Debuts With $35 Million
- Effort to Oust Assad Put on Hold
- Tim Cook Has Proved That Apple is His Baby
- Who Is Daniel Ivascyn?
- Qantas Puts World's Largest Plane on Longest Route
- Los Angeles Set to Host Small Business Summit
- Chicago Flight Delays: Questions Answered