Florida authorities said a 36-year-old man disappeared into a large sinkhole that opened under his house and was presumed dead.
The man was swallowed up while he was in a collapsing bedroom of the house in Brandon, investigators said.
The hole was up to 100 feet wide and still growing Friday.
The house started to collapse when the sinkhole opened up under the house Thursday night and the man fell in despite his brother's efforts to save him, WPTV, Tampa, reported.
The first law enforcement officer on the scene pulled the victim's brother from the end of the chasm.
Authorities deemed the badly damaged house unsafe for rescuers, WPTV, Tampa, Fla. said.
Listening devices and cameras were placed in the hole but there had been no contact with the missing man, WPTV said.
Crews said the rest of the building could collapse at any time.
WPTV said other homes in the area had been evacuated.
UPDATE: AP has identified the man as Jeremy Bush and is running this undated photograph of him.
Most Popular Stories
- Crimean Referendum Violates International Law: Obama
- House OKs $1 Billion for Ukraine
- BP Tripled CEO's Pay Despite Deepwater Horizon
- EU Breaks Off Talks With Russia
- Where Are the World's Most Expensive Cities?
- Putin Gets Thumbs-up From Assad
- Nakamoto 'No Longer Involved' in Bitcoin
- Florida Insurers Reach Out to Hispanics
- Cuba Accepts Invite for Talks With EU
- Disney Lays Off 700 From Interactive Unit