Florida authorities said a 36-year-old man disappeared into a large sinkhole that opened under his house and was presumed dead.
The man was swallowed up while he was in a collapsing bedroom of the house in Brandon, investigators said.
The hole was up to 100 feet wide and still growing Friday.
The house started to collapse when the sinkhole opened up under the house Thursday night and the man fell in despite his brother's efforts to save him, WPTV, Tampa, reported.
The first law enforcement officer on the scene pulled the victim's brother from the end of the chasm.
Authorities deemed the badly damaged house unsafe for rescuers, WPTV, Tampa, Fla. said.
Listening devices and cameras were placed in the hole but there had been no contact with the missing man, WPTV said.
Crews said the rest of the building could collapse at any time.
WPTV said other homes in the area had been evacuated.
UPDATE: AP has identified the man as Jeremy Bush and is running this undated photograph of him.
Most Popular Stories
- Alabama House Speaker Arrested on Felony Ethics Charges
- 'Fury' Blows 'Gone Girl' Out of the Box Office
- Microsoft's Cloud Platform Shines
- Turkey to Help Kurds Reach Fight in Kobani
- German Intelligence Blames Ukraine Rebels for MH17
- ISIS Seeks to Expand Terror War
- Perez Leads Push for Obama's Job Proposals
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- Prius Drivers Battle Stereotypes
- Clinton Rallies Early Vote for Landrieu