"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" is expected to pass the $1 billion milestone at the worldwide box office this weekend, The Hollywood Reporter said.
The first of three planned prequels to the "Lord of the Rings" blockbuster trilogy opened in U.S. theaters in December and it has become a global hit.
"The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" is to storm theaters Dec. 13, 2013.
The Hollywood Reporter said the final flick in the series, "The Hobbit: There and Back Again," is to open Dec. 17, 2014 -- five months later than originally announced.
The new date means "There and Back Again" won't be competing with the science-fiction adventure "X-Men: Days of Future Past," which is set to open in July 2014.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women