"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" is expected to pass the $1 billion milestone at the worldwide box office this weekend, The Hollywood Reporter said.
The first of three planned prequels to the "Lord of the Rings" blockbuster trilogy opened in U.S. theaters in December and it has become a global hit.
"The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" is to storm theaters Dec. 13, 2013.
The Hollywood Reporter said the final flick in the series, "The Hobbit: There and Back Again," is to open Dec. 17, 2014 -- five months later than originally announced.
The new date means "There and Back Again" won't be competing with the science-fiction adventure "X-Men: Days of Future Past," which is set to open in July 2014.
Most Popular Stories
- 15 Myths That Could Ruin Your Hispanic Ad Campaign
- General Motors Names Mary Barra as First Female CEO
- AIG to Create 230 Jobs in Charlotte
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- Russia Says Nyet to Canada North Pole Claim
- Scripps Shares Rise on Reported Bid Talks
- Budget Deal Sets Off Grumbles in Both Houses
- Bipartisan Negotiators Reach Modest Budget Agreement
- Californians Want to Legalize Marijuana
- Health Care Signups Picked up Pace in November