CNN President Jeff Zucker is scheduled to appear at the National Association of Hispanic Journalists (NAHJ) Region 2 conference March 8-9. Zucker will provide opening remarks at the CUNY Graduate School of Journalism.
NAHJ President Hugo Balta told TheWrap.com that Zucker also has agreed to search for talent at NAHJ's regional conferences and discuss diversity.
"(Diversity is) not an issue that is unique to CNN. It's an issue that is the same for many media companies," Balta told TheWrap.com writer Alexander C. Kaufman. Balta also said it was too early to make a judgement about whether CNN is doing enough to encourage diversity.
The news follows a meeting Zucker had with the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) on Feb. 25 as part of the two organization's quarterly meetings.
"We had a productive discussion on how CNN can partner with NABJ to achieve our common objective of promoting a diverse newsroom, in particular within the management ranks, where our industry overall is lacking in diversity," NABJ President Gregory Lee Jr. said, adding that he could not elaborate on the details.
After news came out that journalist Soledad O'Brien was leaving CNN to start a production company, Starfish Media Group, Balta wrote a piece congratulating her on her success, as well as urging CNN to diversify its lineup and fill in the "void with the hiring of Latino talent for its English-language network."
"Diversity must be of the utmost importance as CNN looks to successfully grow its network's brand," Balta said. "Latinos are increasingly influential in all aspects of society in the United States. As the face of the nation continues to change, so must those entrusted in producing and delivering content that profoundly affects us all."
Most Popular Stories
- Prize hope in the can!
- The Free Lance-Star, Fredericksburg, Va., Rob Hedelt column
- The Santa Fe New Mexican Chris Quintana column
- 'The Mary Tyler Moore Show' creation chronicled in breezy 'Mary and Lou and Rhoda and Ted' (review)
- Fall TV news, and 'Arrested Development' returns: TV Talk this week
- Lubbock Avalanche-Journal, Texas, William Kerns column
- Arts & Music Festival attracts hundreds to CSUSB [San Bernardino County Sun (CA)]
- RLJ Entertainment Introduces YouTube Paid Channels
- Cinedigm's Docurama Introduces New YouTube Channel
- Cannes 2013: For 'Blue Ruin' helmer, a new path to career-building