San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro will give the keynote address at the AHAA 2013 conference April 30 in McLean, Va. The mayor gained national attention in 2012 when he delivered the keynote address at the Democratic National Convention.
Castro will discuss the newfound clout of Hispanic voters and how they influence government policy and the marketplace, according to a news release from AHAA: The Voice of Hispanic Marketing. Representatives from the Democratic and Republican parties will then engage in a point-counterpoint session regarding strategies for winning over Hispanic voters.
The youngest mayor of a major American City, Castro, 37, was first elected mayor in 2009, and made Time magazine's 40 Under 40 list the next year. His efforts at making San Antonio a leader in the new energy economy helped spur the Milken Institute to rank San Antonio as the nation's top-performing local economy.
Among his accomplishments as mayor are Café College, offering guidance for test preparation, financial aid and college admissions to any student in the San Antonio region, and revitalizing the city's underserved East Side with the Decade of Downtown initiative, according to his website.
Castro is known to be quick on his feet. When House Judiciary Committee chairman Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., referred to a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants as "extreme," Castro quipped, "I don't see that as an extreme option. The extreme would be open borders."
Related: California Dream'n: Mayor Castro of San Antonio Coming to Oakland
Castro's twin brother, Joaquin Castro, represents the 20th Congressional District of Texas.
AHAA is presenting the conference in partnership with Festival Iberoamericano de Publicidad (FIAP) and Circulo Creativo. AHAA, based in McLean, specializes in marketing to Hispanic consumers. Circulo Creativo is a nonprofit representing Spanish-language directors, producers and advertising planners. FIAP was founded in Argentina in 1969 and branched into the U.S. Hispanic market in 1993. It moved its festival venue to Miami in 2012.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women