Former world No. 1 Rafael Nadal won in his first singles appearance since June, rolling to a second-round victory Wednesday at the VTR Open in Chile.
The top-seeded Spanish superstar breezed to a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Argentine qualifier Federico Delbonis on the clay courts of Vina del Mar, swatting four aces en route to the win.
Nadal made his long-anticipated return to tennis after sitting out seven months with a knee injury. The current world No. 5 chose to make his reappearance in South America, where he hasn't competed since 2005 as an 18-year-old.
His next opponent will be the winner of a second-round test between fellow Spaniards Daniel Gimeno-Traver and Albert Montanes.
Also Wednesday, defending Vina del Mar champion and No. 3 seed Juan Monaco of Argentina succumbed to Frenchman Guillaume Rufin in an upset, 7-6 (7-3), 6-4.
In other second-round action, eighth-seeded Carlos Berlocq advanced with a 7-5, 4-6, 6-4 win over Colombian Santiago Giraldo.
The wrap-up of first-round play saw No. 5 seed Albert Ramos, sixth-seeded Paolo Lorenzi and Gimeno-Traver record victories.
Most Popular Stories
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges
- Ricky Martin Joins 'The Voice ... Mexico'
- Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull to Perform at Fashion Rocks
- Ukraine Says Russians Firing Across the Border
- Ford Q2 Net Profit up 6 Percent
- U.S. Weighs Refugee Status for Immigrant Kids