Disney is working on two Star Wars spin-off movies that focus on characters from the hit sci-fi franchise, chief executive Robert Iger said Tuesday.
The company bought Lucasfilms last year for $4.05 billion and announced in January that the first Star Wars sequel would be directed by JJ Abrams, the director of Lost and the Star Trek reboot.
In addition to that movie Iger said that Disney has already hired screenwriters to work on a couple of separate spin-offs.
Iger named the screenwriters as Lawrence Kasdan, who wrote the screenplays for Return of the Jedi and The Empire Strikes Back, and Simon Kinberg, who scripted Sherlock Holmes and X-Men: The Last Stand.
Most Popular Stories
- Cabot Street Cinema in Beverly for sale
- The Commercial Appeal, Memphis, Tenn., John Beifuss column
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Will Yahoo Splurge on $1-Billion acquisition of Tumblr?
- Financial Times Twitter, Email Hacked
- Travel Startup Localeur Expands to Houston
- Google Fiber Making an Impact
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Facebook, Twitter Announce Apps for Google Glass
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Return of Khan?