A woman facing a drug possession charge was sentenced to 30 days in jail for flipping the bird to a Miami-Dade judge.
Penelope Soto, 18, appeared in court on video after her arrest for possession of Xanax. In front of Circuit Judge Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat on Monday, she was asked about her assets.
Soto appeared as if the hearing was a big joke and laughed off the judge's questions, blurted out "Adios" and then gave him the finger.
The judge, feeling disrespected, demanded she return to the podium and then sentenced her to 30 days in jail for contempt of court.
The hearing began when Soto, sporting an orange jail jumpsuit, laughed when she was asked how much her jewelry was worth.
"It's not a joke, you know, we're not in a club now," Rodriguez-Chomat told her. "We are not in a club, be serious about it."
"I'm serious about it, you just made me laugh," Soto replied. "You just made me laugh, I apologize. It's worth a lot of money."
"Like what?" the judge asked.
"Like Rick Ross. It's worth money," she said.
The judge, not understanding the reference to the South Florida rapper who made news last week when his car was fired at on Las Olas Boulevard, asked Soto if she had taken drugs in the past 24 hours.
"Actually, no," she replied.
Rodriguez-Chomat set her bond at $5,000 and said "bye, bye," and Soto laughed and replied " Adios."
Rodriguez-Chomat called her back and upped her bond to $10,000.
"Are you serious?" she asked.
"I am serious. Adios," he replied.
When she walked away, she flipped the bird. She was summoned back again and sentenced.
Most Popular Stories
- Steven Sotloff Beheading Video Claimed by Islamic State
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- Apple Planning to Launch Mobile Wallet
- Men Are the Big Winners in the Jobs Recovery
- Challenge to Texas Voter ID Begins
- Ford Is Finding Success With Its 'Unminivan'
- Durant Spurns Under Armour to Return to Nike
- Auto Industry Going Back to Bad Habits
- Health Care Hiring Up, Wages Down
- Netflix Unveils New Way to Share Picks