If Hillary Clinton isn't in the 2016 U.S. presidential mix, a Washington Post commentary says Homeland Security head Janet Napolitano may be the woman to watch.
Before moving to Washington Napolitano was a well-regarded and popular governor in Arizona. Since arriving in the nation's capital she has made it known she's mulling making a run for higher office, the Post said Monday.
As governor, Napolitano was criticized for not being aggressive enough in addressing the influx of illegal immigrants. But as homeland security secretary, she has an opportunity in which to change that image, including a high-profile tour of the southwest border this week and discussing the resources the Obama administration has allocated to reducing the number of undocumented workers entering the United States.
The Post said immigration overhaul could give Napolitano the chance to put herself at the forefront of an issue of importance to the future of the Democratic Party.
Most Popular Stories
- Facebook, Twitter Announce Apps for Google Glass
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Will Yahoo Splurge on $1-Billion acquisition of Tumblr?
- Exciting Night for UFC Fans
- Teen Drivers Should Be Prepared for Any Car-Related Situation
- RFD-TV launches on Charter Cable
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Return of Khan?
- Google Fiber Making an Impact
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Financial Times Twitter, Email Hacked