SAN JOSE, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 02/04/13 -- TiVo Research and Analytics, Inc. (TRA), a wholly-owned subsidiary of TiVo Inc. (NASDAQ: TIVO), the creator of and leader in advanced television services including digital video recorders (DVRs), today released this year's top ten most engaging Super Bowl commercials and moments with Taco Bell's "Live Mas" commercial taking the top spot.
User-generated ads continue to be a growing trend as fans had a hand in three of the top ten spots this year, including two humorous crowd-sourced Doritos commercials and Audi of America's "Prom," in which fans chose the ending via online voting prior to the game. In keeping with recent years, many major brands again previewed their Super Bowl advertisements on the Web before the big game, including #10-ranked Volkswagen's "Get In. Get Happy" which garnered more than 8,373,067 views on YouTube before the live airings. In fact, nine of this year's top ten commercials were previewed on the Web before the big game.
The following top ten commercials from Super Bowl XLVII according to TiVo all aired in the first half:
1. Taco Bell "Viva Young"
2. Doritos "Goat For Sale"
3. Hyundai Santa Fe "Pick Your Team"
4. Doritos "Fashionista Daddy"
5. GoDaddy.com "Perfect Date"
6. M&Ms "Anything for Love"
7. Sketchers "Man Vs. Cheetah"
8. Pepsi Next "Pepsi Next Drink it to Believe It"
9. Audi "Prom"
10. Volkswagen "Get In. Get Happy"
TiVo's TRA is the only second-by-second audience research service which ranks these top ten commercials based on actual commercial retention and viewership relative to the program viewership numbers.
"We're seeing more Super Bowl commercials created by users and voted on before the game, as well as brands previewing their spots on the web well before Super Bowl Sunday," said Tara Maitra, Senior Vice President, General Manager Content & Media Sales at TiVo. "This shift reduces the element of surprise in making a commercial successful and TRA's unique ability to help networks and marketers determine what's really resonating with viewers can help improve the effectiveness of ad campaigns and ultimately the ROI of an ad buy."
Beyoncé's energetic 12 minute long halftime show featured a spike in viewership when the pop icon was joined on stage by her Destiny Child's bandmates Michelle Williams and Kelly Rowland.
Most Popular Stories
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Contra Costa Times Chuck Barney column
- Gillian Anderson is fired up in 'The Fall', but Whicher is suspiciously dull ; The former 'X-Files' star channels her inner Helen Mirren in a new crime drama set in Belfast
- Portland's Arts District to host theater festival from June 26-30 [Sun Journal (Lewiston, ME)]
- The News & Advance, Lynchburg, Va., Casey Gillis column
- Joshua Radin loves to sing about love
- Haitian music, culture take center stage at Compas Fest
- Daily Trivia Byte
- 'Iron Man 3' makes $1 billion worldwide, $300 million domestically
- As 'The Office' ends, other workplace shows find a big TV audience