Tagg Romney is considering a run in the special Senate election now that Scott Brown has opted out, the Truth Squad has learned.
Related: Former Mass. Gov. Weld says no to Senate run
Calls for Romney, 42, to join in the short campaign to replace Secretary of State John F. Kerry have increased since the Herald first reported heavyweight Republicans are urging both Romney and his mother, Ann, to get in.
The eldest son of former governor and presidential candidate Mitt Romney already has statewide name recognition and could quickly ramp up the campaign infrastructure for a short, five-month race.
The father of six was a regular on the campaign trail in both of his father's failed races for president in 2008 and 2012, which would give him some political know-how while working to win over Bay State voters. But the younger Romney is weighing joining the fray against remaining with his successful venture capital firm, Solamere. Many Democrats also have noted Mitt Romney's dismal Bay State returns in the most recent presidential election, losing the state by 23 points.
There is no doubt that Tagg Romney, if he decides to run, could be a shining knight to crestfallen Republicans who had set their hopes on Brown. State GOP officials are scrambling to find a viable candidate, despite a lackluster Democratic primary field that includes U.S. Reps. Edward J. Markey and Stephen F. Lynch, and might be further strained by the entrance of Middlesex District Attorney Gerard T. Leone.
Tagg Romney, who has been fairly silent on Twitter since his father's loss in November, seems to be bolstering his profile. He even posted a pic on Saturday of his two sons getting a haircut at Frank's Barbershop in Belmont, a neighborhood staple.
Other potential Republican candidates include state Rep. Dan Winslow (R-Norfolk) and Gabriel Gomez, a Navy SEAL who is set to meet with national Republicans to discuss a possible race this week. Former congressional candidate Richard Tisei has ruled out a run.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women