OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 02/04/13 -- Today, the Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, concluded a visit to Norway, during which he held bilateral discussions with his Norwegian counterpart, Minister of Defence Anne-Grete Strom-Erichsen.
"Norway is a like-minded nation and a key Arctic partner with Canada, and we face similar defence and security challenges," said Minister MacKay. "As founding members of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), Canada and Norway are firmly committed to the Alliance and to a strong trans-Atlantic partnership. I am proud to explore opportunities for closer defence collaboration through bilateral discussions like these."
This visit provided both Ministers an opportunity to share insights and understanding on a wide range of issues and deepen Canada-Norway bilateral defence ties. Canada has a solid foundation of defence cooperation with Norway that dates back to the end of the Second World War. In the Arctic, at the United Nations and NATO and around the world on operations, both nations have a long tradition of active engagement and share similar views on approaches to international peace and security.
More recently, the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces have worked with the Norwegian armed forces on exercises and training opportunities such as Exercise Cold Response in 2012, high-level visits, and on operations, including the NATO-led Afghanistan and Libya missions.
Most Popular Stories
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- Manila's Hollywood Week
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Austin musicians point to a variety of reasons to appreciate McCartney
- Financial Times Twitter, Email Hacked
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Return of Khan?
- Apple's iPhones, iPads Approved for Military Use, Sir Yes Sir!
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]