SAN FRANCISCO, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 02/04/13 -- Independent Television Service (ITVS) and 371 Productions jointly announced today the launch of BizVizz, the first iPhone app to make corporate behavior more transparent. The groundbreaking app was inspired by the PBS Independent Lens documentary "As Goes Janesville." ITVS backed the BizVizz app to extend the impact of "As Goes Janesville," which follows the tough economic times experienced by the citizens of Janesville, Wisconsin, after the closing of GM's oldest plant.
BizVizz allows consumers to snap a picture of a brand's logo and instantly get a simple graphic screen displaying essential facts about America's largest corporations. Do they pay their taxes? How much money do they get from government subsidies? Which candidates get their political donations? The app is now available on iTunes, with future plans to create an Android version.
The president of 371 Productions, "As Goes Janesville" filmmaker Brad Lichtenstein, was motivated to create the app because a company featured in the film obtained taxpayer dollars without a public hearing.
"I watched the democratic process being subverted, and felt that we should do something on a grander scale to make corporate behavior more transparent -- especially when we're all called on to do our part during these tough economic times," he says.
Lichtenstein believes that BizVizz will appeal to consumers who prefer to "shop their values," citizens concerned with corporate accountability, and reporters.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2219423
Add to Digg Bookmark with del.icio.us Add to Newsvine
For More information Contact:
415-356-8383 x 244
Most Popular Stories
- American Airlines, US Airways Complete Merger
- ACA Delay Stresses Small Businesses
- Unemployed Wait as Lawmakers Debate
- Questions Remain in Jenni Rivera's Death
- General Dynamics Plans 200 New Jobs in N.M.
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Harley Issues Motorcycle Recall
- Auto Dealer Builds Big Solar Project
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response