KITCHENER-WATERLOO, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 02/04/13 -- There is a photo associated with this press release.
The K-W St. John Ambulance is excited to announce that Ed Whitlock, octogenarian and world record-breaking track and marathon runner is Ambassador of Inspiration for the 2013 Waterloo Marathon.
Ed will be presenting awards to winners, and will do a Q & A after the race on April 28th. He will also be answering runners' questions on the Waterloo Marathon Facebook page during the training months: https://www.facebook.com/waterloomarathon?fref=ts
In September 2012, at age 81, Ed Whitlock broke the Canadian and unofficial world half-marathon record at his hometown's inaugural race, the Milton Half-Marathon, running 1:38:59.
Prior to that, Whitlock improved the Marathon world record for his age category by almost 15 minutes to 3:25:43 at the 2011 Rotterdam Marathon. Later that year he improved his record at the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon, to 3:15:54.
"We are delighted that Ed Whitlock is supporting our runners and helping us celebrate our 15th Waterloo Marathon," says Tony Lea, Executive Director/District Manager of the Kitchener-Waterloo St. John Ambulance.
All proceeds from The Waterloo Marathon go to the many life-saving programs of K-W St. John Ambulance. Each year 450 volunteers contribute over 10,000 hours of community support.
The Waterloo Marathon features a run through Ontario's last remaining covered bridge, the "Kissing Bridge". The half-marathon is also open to walkers.
To view the photo associated with this press release, please visit the following link: http://www.marketwire.com/library/20130202-Image1800.jpg
K-W St. John Ambulance
Most Popular Stories
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- Stocks Close Lower Ahead of Crimea Vote
- Ulta Shares Look Good on Strong Q4
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- Jittery Investors Dumping Russian Stocks
- JLo Turns the Tables in New Vid: 'I Luh Ya Papi'
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- FDIC Accuses Big Banks of Fraud, Conspiracy
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?