Bentley Murdock, a professional musician and resident of San Luis Obispo for 18 years, has been picked to be the city's first social media ambassador.
As such, it will be his job to promote the city through social media and build a community of online users that will be self-sustaining. He will also lead the city's Tourism Business Improvement District 's social media efforts, promote local hotels through social media marketing, and attend local events and then showcase them online.
His job, simply put, is to be everywhere, said Ermina Karim, president of the San Luis Obispo Chamber of Commerce. The announcement about Murdock's hiring was made Thursday morning at the chamber's Good Morning San Luis Obispo breakfast meeting.
Murdock will work under a one-year, $50,000 contract and be employed by Rosetta, which is the marketing agency hired by the tourism district.
Forty-four people vied to become the ambassador, submitting videos for consideration and online voting. The top 10 applicants were then interviewed by a panel of representatives from the tourism district, the city, local marketing agencies and the tourism industry.
Murdock said he was excited to be picked. "This city has such an amazing atmosphere and buzz," he said.
He plays in a band called Bentley Murdock and the Soul Purpose. Murdock is also writing poetry that he is compiling for a book he hopes to publish this year.
Most Popular Stories
- PBS Series Examines America's Demographic Shift
- Americans Bet Big on Gambling Industry
- Petri Likely Broke House Ethics Rules
- Exxon Gives Nod to Fracking Risks
- California's Ban on Plastic Bags: What Now?
- Morgan: 'Can't Believe' Wal-Mart Blaming Him
- Wealth Gap Widens as Rich Spend More on Kids' Education
- Lack of Sea Ice Brings 35,000 Walruses Ashore
- Can You Be Fired for Using Medical Marijuana?
- Texas Sees Gains in Hispanic College Enrollment