TORONTO, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 02/27/13 -- Miller Brewing Company, a subsidiary of SABMiller plc, confirms that it is terminating its Canadian License Agreement with Molson Coors Canada. Although Molson Coors Canada has filed a lawsuit in Ontario seeking to prevent termination of the License Agreement, Miller is vigorously defending that action and maintains its right to terminate.
"While Miller brands make up only a small percentage of Molson Coors' Canadian sales, this decision reflects our belief that there exists the opportunity to grow Miller's brands in Canada," said Paul Gurr, Managing Director - Canada. "We see Canada as a country with a rich tradition of beer appreciation and believe we can better serve Canadians' needs through this transition."
SABMiller remains committed to the Canadian market, and Miller trademark brands will continue to be available within Canada.
Miller has provided Molson Coors Canada with the necessary 6-months' notice of termination, as of January 18, 2013. As such, the agreement will be terminated as of July 22, 2013.
Investor relations contact:
SVP Global Communications and Reputation
+44 20 7659 0105
Business Media Relations Manager
+44 20 7659 0188
Most Popular Stories
- Chinese May Have Spotted Malaysia Airlines Debris
- First-time Jobless Claims Drop Unexpectedly
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- U.S. Business Inventories Up, Retail Sales Down
- 'Candy Crush' Maker Files IPO
- Why Buffett Bets Big on Green Energy
- Jay Z, Kanye Delight Fans With Two-Hour Set at SXSW
- First-time U.S. Jobless Claims Hit 3-month Low
- General Electric Plans IPO of Credit Card Unit
- Accused Killer Texted Son Moments Before Shooting Man for Texting: Prosecutors