Work from home? Not for long if you're among Yahoo's 14,500 employees.
In a company memo leaked to All Things D, the company's human resources manager Jackie Reses announced the kibosh on telecommuting starting in June, causing an uproar among those who've come to rely on the flexible work arrangements.
It's all part of changes in Yahoo under CEO Marissa Marissa Mayer, who made headlines last summer when she was chosen to head up the struggling tech company when she was five months pregnant. After she delivered her son in the fall, Mayer cut her maternity leave short, but took advantage of the company's work-from-home policy.
The move has fired up bloggers and even finance columnists, who say Mayer sends the wrong message by taking a step backward in workplace flexibility. Here are some links:
-- Forbes: Memo To Yahoo's Marissa Mayer: Leaders Admit When They're Wrong
-- Forbes: 4 Reasons Marissa Mayer's No-At-Home-Work Policy Is an Epic Fail
-- Bloomberg: Yahoo's Risky Work-From-Home Memo
-- Wired: Marissa Mayer's No-Working-From-Home Rule Is Stupid -- Or It Could Save Yahoo
In the company memo, Reses notes that in-office collaboration is essential to boosting the Yahoo's bottom line.
"To become the absolute best place to work, communication and collaboration will be important, so we need to be working side-by-side," Reses wrote. "That is why it is critical that we are all present in our offices. Speed and quality are often sacrificed when we work from home. We need to be one Yahoo, and that starts with physically being together."
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign