National sales of new single-family houses reached a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 437,000 in January, according to a joint report released today by the Census Bureau and the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
The rate is 15.6 percent over the revised December rate of 378,000 and 28.9 percent over the January 2012 estimate of 339,000.
The median sales price was $226,400, and the average sales price was $286,300. The report estimates the number of new houses for sale at 150,000, a 4.1-month supply at current sales rates.
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- Gas Prices May Jump from Calif. Emissions Law
- Obama Meets with Ukraine Prime Minister Wednesday
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security