MIAMI BEACH, FL -- (Marketwire) -- 02/26/13 -- At the urging of dozens of leading Miami Beach residents, civic activist Joshua Dunkelman has announced his candidacy for the Miami Beach City Commission. Dunkelman, active in the Miami-Dade civil rights and arts communities, will run in Group III. The general election is November 5, 2013.
Dunkelman, 42, says his focus as commissioner will be quality of life issues including addressing traffic and parking issues, mass transportation, flooding and safe guarding historic preservation. Transparency in government to combat improprieties and streamlining government red tape of permitting and inspections will also be top priorities.
"I think the most important truth that differentiates me from the rest of the field is that I represent the residents of Miami Beach," Dunkelman said. "I am not responsible or beholden to any outside interests."
Dunkelman has assumed leadership roles in several local organizations as a founding member of the Wolfsonian-FIU Visionaries, a younger group of museum supporters. He serves on the board of directors of the New World School of Arts in Miami and was the co-chair of the Museum of Contemporary Arts MOCA Shakers. Most recently, he was the director of development of SAVE Dade, the county's leading LGBT civil rights organization.
After earning his master's degree in public administration from Ohio State University's School of Policy and Management, Dunkelman put his degree to work in Washington DC as chief of staff for City Councilman David Catania. There he learned the ropes of local city government.
"Forging cooperative relationships with the other commissioners and understanding the mechanics of city government will be vital for success as a commissioner," said Dunkelman.
Dunkelman's campaign kick-off will be held on Thursday, February 28th from 6 PM to 8:30 PM at Chalk Ping Pong and Billiards Lounge, 1234 Washington Avenue, Miami Beach.
For more information, voters are urged to visit JoshuaDunkelman.com.
E-Mail: [email protected]
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women