Tunisian students protested outside of a high school after the ministry of education said it would investigate a "Harlem Shake" video filmed at the school.
A group of students and school officials at a Imam Moslem High School in Tunis came under fire after the "Harlem Shake" -- a video craze involving one person dancing while a room full of people stays still, then the entire room suddenly joins in the chaotic dance -- was filmed at the school Saturday.
Tunisian Minister of Education Abdeltif Abid said Sunday there be an investigation, and questioned why the director of the school would allow such a video to be made.
"What happened is an insult to the educational message and whoever contributed will be held responsible," Abid said.
An anonymous hacker group supporting the students' actions attacked the ministry of education's website, leaving an Internet meme "troll face" with the message "YOU MAD?" Tunisia Live reported. Students protested the government's investigation by refusing to attend school Monday.
Souad Abderrahim, a National Constituent Assembly member whose son participated in the "Harlem Shake" video, defended the video, but agreed it violated some rules.
"As a mother and a politician, I believe dance is a form of expression and creativity, but I denounce some of the violations that happened," she said. "Most pupils were there to watch a dance that is popular around the world. There were no major violations like violent incidents, but there were some acts that were provocative to some, and I apologize not for the dance, which is a form of expression, but for the violations that happened."
She said any action against those responsible should be taken by the school's administration.
Most Popular Stories
- James Foley Beheading Video Is Real Thing: White House
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Honda's Safe Approach Pays Off in Sales
- Castro-Blanco Joins Fifth Street Finance Board
- GE Healthcare Bringing Jobs to Massachusetts
- Target Slashes Annual Profit Outlook
- Google Kid Accounts Plan Raises Worries
- Ballmer Steps Down From Microsoft Board
- Islamic Militant in James Foley Beheading Video May Be English