Fifth-seeded Jurgen Melzer was given an early exit in the opening round of the Mexican Open Monday, falling to Joao Sousa of Portugal.
Sousa sped past the Austria's Melzer 6-4, 6-3 on the clay courts at the Fairmont Acapulco Princess.
Spain's Pablo Andujar, however, fared better, moving on to the second round with a 3-6, 7-5, 6-2 victory over Serbian Dusan Lajovic.
Other Day 1 Acapulco winners Monday included Martin Alund of Argentina, Colombian Santiago Giraldo and Leonardo Mayer of Argentina.
Most Popular Stories
- Major Phone Makers Sign Anti-Phone-Theft Pledge
- College Board Offers a Sneak Peak at New SAT
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Salsa Legend Cheo Feliciano Killed in Car Crash
- Earthlike Planet Found in Red Dwarf's Goldilocks Zone
- New Auto Plant to Create 155 Jobs in Kentucky
- Miss. Gov. Signs Bills to Curb Unions
- Hiring and Weekly Jobless Claims Both Edge Up
- Generating Solar Power in the Dark
- Google Q1 Earnings Dip as Ad Prices Slip