Fifth-seeded Jurgen Melzer was given an early exit in the opening round of the Mexican Open Monday, falling to Joao Sousa of Portugal.
Sousa sped past the Austria's Melzer 6-4, 6-3 on the clay courts at the Fairmont Acapulco Princess.
Spain's Pablo Andujar, however, fared better, moving on to the second round with a 3-6, 7-5, 6-2 victory over Serbian Dusan Lajovic.
Other Day 1 Acapulco winners Monday included Martin Alund of Argentina, Colombian Santiago Giraldo and Leonardo Mayer of Argentina.
Most Popular Stories
- Congress Passes Law Promoting Transparency Reconstruction of Haiti
- UFC Fight Night Sees Robbie Lawler Win Unanimous Decision
- Four DC Comics Properties Brought to TV Get Comic-Con Event
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy ' Sequel Slated for 2017
- Plan to Simplify 2015 Health Renewals May Backfire
- Desktop, Laptop Setups Still King
- Shania Twain's Vegas residency ending after 110 shows
- Google Confirms $1B Acquisition of Twitch.tv
- Demand for Fair Trade Brings Big Opportunity, Clear Conscience
- Zillow in Reported $2B Bid for Real Estate Rival Trulia