Top GOP operative Karl Rove accused Gov. Deval Patrick of lying about Republicans' motives in the Washington, D.C., sequestration showdown when the governor appeared on "Meet the Press" yesterday, while the nation's top politicians likewise continued to trade shots yesterday as the March 1 deadline nears.
"On MTP MA Gov Patrick said Obama has laid out sequester plan," Rove tweeted last night. "Also untrue was his wild libel GOP top priority is to 'slow down recovery.' Host David Gregory let the slander go unchallenged."
Earlier, Patrick accused congressional Republicans of refusing to work with President Obama, saying he's not to blame for the current standoff on Capitol Hill over how to pull the economy out of a looming nosedive over deep automatic budget cuts in lieu of an increased borrowing authorization.
"From the very beginning, it was the leadership of the Republicans ... who said their No. 1 agenda was to make this president a one-term president," Patrick said. "When he won a second term, their No. 1 agenda is to slow down the recovery of our economy and that needs to be called out. It is a fact."
Meanwhile, the White House released a state-by-state breakdown of the impact should the automatic cuts take place unless the two sides cut a deal -- which would include in Massachusetts losses of millions of dollars in school funding, college aid for students, law enforcement funding and domestic violence programs.
U.S. Sen. John McCain of Arizona told CNN yesterday Obama should be talking with lawmakers, not demonizing them
Most Popular Stories
- Alabama House Speaker Arrested on Felony Ethics Charges
- Microsoft's Cloud Platform Shines
- 'Fury' Blows 'Gone Girl' Out of the Box Office
- Turkey to Help Kurds Reach Fight in Kobani
- ISIS Seeks to Expand Terror War
- German Intelligence Blames Ukraine Rebels for MH17
- Perez Leads Push for Obama's Job Proposals
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- New Effort to Ban Child Labor From Tobacco Farms
- Prius Drivers Battle Stereotypes