February has been a bad month for gas prices, and the increases could continue
At $3.63, the monthly national average price of a gallon of regular gasoline already has surpassed last February's average by 8 cents, according to AAA.
The national average was $3.777 on Monday, up more than four cents from a week earlier. In Florida, the average price was $3.869, an increase of nearly seven cents from the previous Monday.
In its weekly analysis of gas prices, the auto club forecasts the average price will continue to rise through this month and in March. States in the Southeast may see prices above $4 a gallon.
"Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there will be much relief at the pump in the next couple of weeks," AAA spokeswoman Jessica Brady said in a news release. "U.S. refinery maintenance typically peaks in March, meaning we could see more cuts in refinery output, leading to higher gas prices.
"Although gas prices were forecast to peak in April, it's unclear whether or not this will be the case since pump prices have already seen such dramatic increases."
In Gainesville, recent prices for a gallon of regular ranged from $3.81 to $4.09, according to www.gasbuddy.com.
In Ocala, recent prices for a gallon of regular ranged from $3.71 to $3.99, according to www.gasbuddy.com.
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- 'Holy grail of guitars' OM-45 Deluxe Available in in NY Auction
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Justin Bieber Loses Cool Over Selena Gomez
- For Obama, a Last Stab at Improving Ties with Capitol Hill
- Maya Angelou Cancels Milagro Gala Appearance Due to Illness