February has been a bad month for gas prices, and the increases could continue
At $3.63, the monthly national average price of a gallon of regular gasoline already has surpassed last February's average by 8 cents, according to AAA.
The national average was $3.777 on Monday, up more than four cents from a week earlier. In Florida, the average price was $3.869, an increase of nearly seven cents from the previous Monday.
In its weekly analysis of gas prices, the auto club forecasts the average price will continue to rise through this month and in March. States in the Southeast may see prices above $4 a gallon.
"Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there will be much relief at the pump in the next couple of weeks," AAA spokeswoman Jessica Brady said in a news release. "U.S. refinery maintenance typically peaks in March, meaning we could see more cuts in refinery output, leading to higher gas prices.
"Although gas prices were forecast to peak in April, it's unclear whether or not this will be the case since pump prices have already seen such dramatic increases."
In Gainesville, recent prices for a gallon of regular ranged from $3.81 to $4.09, according to www.gasbuddy.com.
In Ocala, recent prices for a gallon of regular ranged from $3.71 to $3.99, according to www.gasbuddy.com.
Most Popular Stories
- Honda' s Accord Plug-in Hybrid Is a Fuel Miser
- Hernandez lawyer: Pats Records Dispute Resolved
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Social Media Startups That Pay You to Post
- Female Business Owners Still Face Gender Gap
- Amazon Fire Phone Improves on Familiar: Review
- Congress Leaving Town as Deadlines Loom
- Oregon Voters to Decide on Recreational Pot
- 4th Circuit Upholds Obamacare Subsidies
- Oregon to Vote on Recreational Marijuana