February has been a bad month for gas prices, and the increases could continue
At $3.63, the monthly national average price of a gallon of regular gasoline already has surpassed last February's average by 8 cents, according to AAA.
The national average was $3.777 on Monday, up more than four cents from a week earlier. In Florida, the average price was $3.869, an increase of nearly seven cents from the previous Monday.
In its weekly analysis of gas prices, the auto club forecasts the average price will continue to rise through this month and in March. States in the Southeast may see prices above $4 a gallon.
"Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there will be much relief at the pump in the next couple of weeks," AAA spokeswoman Jessica Brady said in a news release. "U.S. refinery maintenance typically peaks in March, meaning we could see more cuts in refinery output, leading to higher gas prices.
"Although gas prices were forecast to peak in April, it's unclear whether or not this will be the case since pump prices have already seen such dramatic increases."
In Gainesville, recent prices for a gallon of regular ranged from $3.81 to $4.09, according to www.gasbuddy.com.
In Ocala, recent prices for a gallon of regular ranged from $3.71 to $3.99, according to www.gasbuddy.com.
Most Popular Stories
- PBS Series Examines America's Demographic Shift
- Tim Cook Has Proved That Apple is His Baby
- Why the Bond Market Isn't as Safe as You Think
- Lexus Luxury Compact Sedan Wins Buyers
- Review: Pay by Phone or Just Keep Using Plastic?
- Royals Beat A's in 12-inning Wild Card Thriller
- What to Look for in Mich. Jobs Market
- Construction Spending Down Again for August
- Dallas Parents Fear Students Exposed to Ebola
- Obama Seeks Traction From Economic Recovery