February has been a bad month for gas prices, and the increases could continue
At $3.63, the monthly national average price of a gallon of regular gasoline already has surpassed last February's average by 8 cents, according to AAA.
The national average was $3.777 on Monday, up more than four cents from a week earlier. In Florida, the average price was $3.869, an increase of nearly seven cents from the previous Monday.
In its weekly analysis of gas prices, the auto club forecasts the average price will continue to rise through this month and in March. States in the Southeast may see prices above $4 a gallon.
"Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there will be much relief at the pump in the next couple of weeks," AAA spokeswoman Jessica Brady said in a news release. "U.S. refinery maintenance typically peaks in March, meaning we could see more cuts in refinery output, leading to higher gas prices.
"Although gas prices were forecast to peak in April, it's unclear whether or not this will be the case since pump prices have already seen such dramatic increases."
In Gainesville, recent prices for a gallon of regular ranged from $3.81 to $4.09, according to www.gasbuddy.com.
In Ocala, recent prices for a gallon of regular ranged from $3.71 to $3.99, according to www.gasbuddy.com.
Most Popular Stories
- 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata Is Fast and Eager
- Tablets, Cars Drive AT&T Gains
- Tech Firms Flock to LA's 'Silicon Beach'
- Small Businesses Add 3 More Worries to Their List
- Apple Warns of China iCloud Attack
- Job Hunting Is Hard Work
- DOMA Tech Adding Jobs to Process VA Claims
- Ford, GM Expect to Report Strong Profits
- Consumer Prices Edge Up, Surprising Economists
- Stocks Subdued After Gains Earlier in Week