STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN -- (Marketwire) -- 02/22/13 --
* Japan's SOFTBANK MOBILE to implement Ericsson's SSR 8000 family ofSmart Services Routers as its main Evolved Packet Core (EPC) packet gatewaynode
* SSR 8000 family of Smart Services Routers enables operators to meet the latest network requirements for performance, smartness, simplicity and reliability
* Subscribers will experience benefits such as faster data speeds and a superior user experience
Japan already leads the world in terms of average mobile traffic per user,andits contribution to data traffic will only increase as time goes by. Veryhighsmartphone penetration is resulting in increased demand for networkquality,which a recent Ericsson (NASDAQ: ERIC) ConsumerLab study confirmed is acentralfactor in ensuring a positive smartphone user experience and hence customerloyalty.
To secure network quality despite the high load caused by the dataexplosion,Japan's SOFTBANK MOBILE has selected to implement Ericsson's SSR 8000family ofSmart Services Routers as its main Evolved Packet Core (EPC) packet gatewaynode. Part of Ericsson's 4th-Generation IP Networking portfolio, the SSR8000family of Smart Services Routers enables operators to meet the latestnetworkrequirements for performance, smartness, simplicity and reliability.
Junichi Miyakawa, Executive Vice President, Director & CTO of SOFTBANKMOBILECorp., says: "The data volume explosion is particularly evident in Japan,wherewe have densely populated cities with users who are early adopters oftechnology. We are implementing the most appropriate equipment to ensurethat wehave the network capacity required to deliver the best possible userexperience,and the SSR 8000 family of products is a highly scalable solution."
Jan Signell, President of Ericsson Japan K.K., says: "We have a greatworkingrelationship with SOFTBANK MOBILE as its sole supplier of core network andpacket network equipment, and we're very happy to be able to continue tosupplythe equipment it needs to meet its subscribers' demands. The data explosionisboth an opportunity and a challenge, and we're committed to ensuring thatitbenefits everyone."
Internet services are playing an increasingly essential role in daily life.People use their phones not only for communicating and socializing witheachother, but also for Wi-Fi tethering, as NFC keys, train passes, to exchangeelectronic business cards, as e-book readers, and even to watch TV. Thesmartphone has placed the internet in the palms of people's hands andenablednew revenue opportunities for operators.
The Ericsson SSR 8000 family of Smart Services Routers can scale to meetthebandwidth needs of even the most demanding applications and allow operatorstokeep up with the ever-growing number of connected devices. As aconsolidatedplatform for both fixed- and mobile network applications, Smart ServicesRoutersmake convergence a reality - thereby simplifying operations and reducingcost ofownership.
NOTES TO EDITORS
Photo of Ericsson SSR 8020 Family:
Smartphone Usage Experience:
Most Popular Stories
- Ex-Mobster to Bulger: Just Say Sorry
- Google Stock Split Ahead
- Guns Are Hot in California
- OSH Selling Most of Its Stores to Lowe's
- El Paso Symposium Offers Help to Startups
- MillerCoors Taps New Hispanic Ad Agency
- Small Businesses Hiring, but Worry About Expense
- First Person Cured of AIDS Virus Wants to Help Others
- Honda Says Sorry About the Lack of Electric Fits
- LULAC Convention Starts With Focus on LGBT Youth