Rhode Island business leaders who endorse same-sex marriage announced Wednesday a new coalition in support of proposed "marriage equality" legislation: Rhode Island Business Leaders for Marriage Equality.
While the matter is personal and social, it's also public and financial, according to Alan Hassenfeld, former CEO of Hasbro.
"To be competitive, a state must create an equitable, fair and respectful environment for all of its citizens," Hassenfeld said in a prepared statement. "From a business point of view, passing marriage equality just makes good sense."
Rhode Island is the only New England state without marriage equality, said Sally Lapides, president of Residential Properties, "and Rhode Island firms are losing business."
The coalition reports 60 business leaders have joined so far.
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Potential Snags to the Bipartisan Budget Deal
- Phil Pustejovsky's Relief Real Estate Offers Seminars in Daytona Beach
- Rubio Offers Endorsements, Cash to 2014 GOP Candidates
- Legal Dope in Uruguay Breaks International Law, Says Buzzkill U.N.
- GM Plant Tackles Tough Waste Challenge
- Sonoma Growers Win Emerald Cup Cannabis Competition
- Cantor Fitzgerald Settles Suit
- Pope Removes U.S. Archbishop from Powerful Post
- Researchers Question Effectiveness of Vitamins
- Vets Vow to Fight for Benefits in Budget Battle