Rhode Island business leaders who endorse same-sex marriage announced Wednesday a new coalition in support of proposed "marriage equality" legislation: Rhode Island Business Leaders for Marriage Equality.
While the matter is personal and social, it's also public and financial, according to Alan Hassenfeld, former CEO of Hasbro.
"To be competitive, a state must create an equitable, fair and respectful environment for all of its citizens," Hassenfeld said in a prepared statement. "From a business point of view, passing marriage equality just makes good sense."
Rhode Island is the only New England state without marriage equality, said Sally Lapides, president of Residential Properties, "and Rhode Island firms are losing business."
The coalition reports 60 business leaders have joined so far.
Most Popular Stories
- GE Healthcare Bringing Jobs to Massachusetts
- Hispanic NASCAR Driver Ready to Make History
- Faith Groups Divest From Fossil Fuels
- James Foley Beheading Video Is Real Thing: White House
- James Foley Killer Could Be ID'd Via Social Media, Voice Recognition
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Bank of America Agrees to Pay Record $16.65 Billion
- Entrepreneur Contest Announced in Idaho
- Stocks Moving Higher Again for 4th Day
- U.S. Existing Home Sales Rise 4th Month Straight