Rhode Island business leaders who endorse same-sex marriage announced Wednesday a new coalition in support of proposed "marriage equality" legislation: Rhode Island Business Leaders for Marriage Equality.
While the matter is personal and social, it's also public and financial, according to Alan Hassenfeld, former CEO of Hasbro.
"To be competitive, a state must create an equitable, fair and respectful environment for all of its citizens," Hassenfeld said in a prepared statement. "From a business point of view, passing marriage equality just makes good sense."
Rhode Island is the only New England state without marriage equality, said Sally Lapides, president of Residential Properties, "and Rhode Island firms are losing business."
The coalition reports 60 business leaders have joined so far.
Most Popular Stories
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Georgia GOP Preaches Minority Outreach
- Ford's Supplier Diversity Program Turns 35
- GM Joins Nissan to Supply Small Cargo Vehicle
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- Ford Trucks See Boost as Roadshow Reaches Saudi Arabia
- US Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- Kerry Concerned Over Blasphemy Laws, Anti-Semitism
- Soderbergh: Why He Quit Movies