Rhode Island business leaders who endorse same-sex marriage announced Wednesday a new coalition in support of proposed "marriage equality" legislation: Rhode Island Business Leaders for Marriage Equality.
While the matter is personal and social, it's also public and financial, according to Alan Hassenfeld, former CEO of Hasbro.
"To be competitive, a state must create an equitable, fair and respectful environment for all of its citizens," Hassenfeld said in a prepared statement. "From a business point of view, passing marriage equality just makes good sense."
Rhode Island is the only New England state without marriage equality, said Sally Lapides, president of Residential Properties, "and Rhode Island firms are losing business."
The coalition reports 60 business leaders have joined so far.
Most Popular Stories
- Neighbor Warns Chris Brown to Stay Off His Property
- Venezuelan Officials Banned From Traveling in U.S.
- Adrienne Bailon Disses Ex-Lover Rob Kardashian
- Hiring on the Rise at Small Businesses
- NSHMBA Names Lincoln as Automotive Partner
- Hispanic Arts Leaders Unite Across the Border
- Islamic State Fights for Control of Syrian Oil Wealth
- How to Fit Green Energy Into Your Portfolio
- Sanctions Will Hit Russia Hard if Not Lifted Quickly
- Jerry Brown Favors More Shelters for Immigrant Kids