Rhode Island business leaders who endorse same-sex marriage announced Wednesday a new coalition in support of proposed "marriage equality" legislation: Rhode Island Business Leaders for Marriage Equality.
While the matter is personal and social, it's also public and financial, according to Alan Hassenfeld, former CEO of Hasbro.
"To be competitive, a state must create an equitable, fair and respectful environment for all of its citizens," Hassenfeld said in a prepared statement. "From a business point of view, passing marriage equality just makes good sense."
Rhode Island is the only New England state without marriage equality, said Sally Lapides, president of Residential Properties, "and Rhode Island firms are losing business."
The coalition reports 60 business leaders have joined so far.
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Liberty Media Drops Sirius Bid
- Obama's Overtime Initiative Praised, Condemned
- Republicans Warn Obama on Immigration
- Uli Hoeness, Bayern Munich President, Gets Prison for Tax Evasion
- West Readies Harsh Sanctions Against Russia
- Drake Wins Big MTV's Woodie Awards at SXSW
- Lady Gaga Roasts Self on Spit at SXSW
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy