OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 02/20/13 -- "On behalf of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, I extend my sincere condolences on the passing of the Honourable Eugene Whelan P.C., O.C., CD, P.Ag.
A proud South-western Ontarian, Eugene was a strong voice for Canadian farmers for decades, serving in both municipal and federal politics. As Canada's agriculture minister and in his trademark green Stetson, Eugene was planted firmly on the side of farmers. His more than twelve years as Agriculture Minister serve as a clear testament to the passion and dedication he brought to the job every day.
I am privileged to continue Mr. Whelan's efforts in putting farmers first, because as Eugene would agree, a strong farm gate is the backbone of our economy.
Our thoughts and prayers are with the Whelan family during this time."
- Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
The Office of the Honourable Gerry Ritz
Most Popular Stories
- SAC Capital Employee Guilty of Insider Trading
- The Illuminati Don't Exist, Just Ask Them
- Senate Sends Bipartisan Budget Plan to President
- Singer Ian Watkins Sentenced to 35 Years Prison for Child Sex Abuse
- Universal CityWalk Rings in 2014 with Southern California's Biggest New Year's Eve Party, Featuring Dazzling Fireworks Displays, Three Live Concert Stages, DJ Performances and a Midnight Cascade of 1,000 Pounds of Confetti
- Brothel Write-offs Cost Taxpayers Millions, Coburn Says
- Joaquin Phoenix Reboots in 'Her'
- Fed Signals Strong Confidence in U.S. Economy
- GLAAD Denounces 'Duck Dynasty' Star for Remarks About Gays
- 'Beyonce' Tops the U.S. Album Chart