A review of "Fire Emblem: Awakening"
(3DS, $40, Teen)
Nintendo's sumptuous strategy/RPG finally storms the 3DS, bringing gorgeous visuals, a compelling story and cut-throat, unforgiving turn-based battles.
You start by customizing your character's look and skill tendencies. Then you choose a difficulty level -- the toughest available at the outset proving too much to handle for a series veteran like myself -- and set off on a tale of swords and sorcery.
Your tactics and decisions have far-reaching implications, forging partnerships that provide lasting benefits on the battlefield. Your character can even marry and give birth to children who can eventually join your ranks.
StreetPass functionality allows players to swap items and use one another's characters in the game.
"Awakening" plays more to the core 3DS gamer than casual interlopers, giving those players a much-needed feast of defeat and rapture.
-- Phil Villarreal
(c)2013 The Arizona Daily Star (Tucson, Ariz.)
Visit The Arizona Daily Star (Tucson, Ariz.) at www.azstarnet.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Bundy Ranch Standoff Has Spurred Radical Right
- Emmys: 'Orange' Marks Break From Sitcoms
- Repubs to Sue Obama for Delaying Obamacare
- Fed Vice Chair Fischer: Care Needed to Avoid Crisis
- Thousands of Children Dragged Into U.S. Political Bickering
- Union Pulls Support of UNCF Over Koch Gift
- Dems Float Long-Shot Effort to Curb Campaign Cash
- Border Crisis Could Lead to Faster Deportations
- Portugal Bank Fears Spark Selloff
- Kerry in Afghanistan to Meet Candidates