A review of "Fire Emblem: Awakening"
(3DS, $40, Teen)
Nintendo's sumptuous strategy/RPG finally storms the 3DS, bringing gorgeous visuals, a compelling story and cut-throat, unforgiving turn-based battles.
You start by customizing your character's look and skill tendencies. Then you choose a difficulty level -- the toughest available at the outset proving too much to handle for a series veteran like myself -- and set off on a tale of swords and sorcery.
Your tactics and decisions have far-reaching implications, forging partnerships that provide lasting benefits on the battlefield. Your character can even marry and give birth to children who can eventually join your ranks.
StreetPass functionality allows players to swap items and use one another's characters in the game.
"Awakening" plays more to the core 3DS gamer than casual interlopers, giving those players a much-needed feast of defeat and rapture.
-- Phil Villarreal
(c)2013 The Arizona Daily Star (Tucson, Ariz.)
Visit The Arizona Daily Star (Tucson, Ariz.) at www.azstarnet.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Doctor Who Christmas Episode Begins Production
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- SpaceX Aims for Predawn Launch on Saturday
- Women Key to Democratic Party: Clinton
- U.S. Chamber Caught Up in Tax Inversion Question
- Feds Won't Say How Many Border Crossers Jailed
- Christie Didn't Order Bridge Shut Down, Feds Say