The U.S. general who had been tapped by President Barack Obama to be the next supreme allied commander of NATO has instead withdrawn his candidacy and will retire from the military, the White House said Tuesday.
General John Allen had been tapped last year to lead the post.
However, his candidacy had been delayed for weeks during an investigation of possible misconduct in a sex scandal that took down former CIA director David Petraeus.
The Pentagon last month cleared Allen of suspicion. The White House, at that point, had said his nomination for supreme NATO commander would proceed.
But reports last week said Allen was considering withdrawing his candidacy to spare his family questions about the affair during
public confirmation hearings before the Senate, which often pry into
every corner of a person's career.
"Today, I met with General John Allen and accepted his request to retire from the military so that he can address health issues within his family," Obama said in a statement.
He praised Allen for his service as commander of international forces in Afghanistan over the past 19 months.
"John Allen is one of America's finest military leaders, a true
patriot, and a man I have come to respect greatly," Obama said. "I wish him and his family the very best as they begin this new chapter,
and we will carry forward the extraordinary work that General Allen led in Afghanistan."
Allen, who authored the US troop surge, handed over his
command of NATO-led forces in Afghanistan to US Marine General Joseph
Dunford earlier this month.
Most Popular Stories
- Fox, Twitter team up to promote TV shows, sell ads
- Guitar Center Sessions Updates on New Episodes Featuring The Smashing Pumpkins, Goo Goo Dolls, OneRepublic and Talib Kweli
- Cinedigm's Docurama Launches New YouTube Channel
- Daily Trivia Byte
- One hot summer
- Stars light up the stage in memory of gentle giant ; REVIEW [Birmingham Mail (UK)]
- Movieline Rolls Out into the Online Video Space
- CELEBRITY BIRTHDAYS [Birmingham Mail (UK)]
- CrowdIt Backs Springfield Area Filmmakers by Offering Complimentary Crowdfunding to Comedy Film Company
- Nikki Hill brings her raw energy and vintage style to Roanoke
News-To-Go
Advertisement
Advertisement
News Column
White House: Would-be NATO Commander Plans to Retire Instead
Feb 19, 2013
Advertisement
Source: Copyright 2013 dpa Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH
Story Tools



