Florida's tourism triumph is official.
Visit Florida, the state's tourism marketing corporation, said a record 89.3 million visitors came to the state in 2012, up 2.3 percent from the prior year. The number of jobs directly related to travel also hit a record 1.03 million.
"Welcoming two million more visitors in 2012 marks the second consecutive record year for tourism in the Sunshine State," Gov. Rick Scott said in a statement as he released the figures Monday morning. "With the hospitality sector ending the year up 30,300 jobs, it's clear that more visitors means more jobs for Florida families."
Leisure and tourism was the fastest growing industry in Florida in 2012 based on job creation figures released last month.
Two other records notched last year: Florida drew 10.2 million overseas visitors, a 9 percent jump from a year ago, and 3.6 million Canadian visitors, up 7.3 percent.
Most Popular Stories
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'
- Detroit Free Press Julie Hinds column