OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 02/14/13 -- The Honourable Vic Toews, Minister of Public Safety, issued the following statement today, on the release of Gender and Respect: The RCMP Action Plan. The Action Plan was developed in response to the RCMP's recent Gender-Based Assessment.
"Through this Action Plan, the RCMP has committed to concrete milestones to address ongoing challenges related to diversity within its workforce. Now is the time for action and I'm satisfied with the plan the RCMP has brought forward.
Our Government understands that the RCMP needs tools to enhance trust and restore accountability in its ranks which is why we introduced the Enhancing Royal Canadian Mounted Police Accountability Act in June 2012. These measures, coupled with Bill C-42 Enhancing Royal Canadian Mounted Police Accountability Act, which is currently before Parliament, will bring about needed change at the RCMP.
The Action Plan sets out 37 measures that the RCMP intends to take in order to improve the culture and composition of the Force. These actions will contribute to the RCMP's ability to hire and retain a diverse and competent workforce and will encourage dialogue and the timely resolution of issues.
The RCMP is an integral part of Canada's proud history. The steps set out in the Action Plan will help to ensure that the RCMP remains a strong, accountable and relevant national police force built for the future."
Gender and Respect: The RCMP Action Plan is available on the RCMP's Web site.
Follow Public Safety Canada (@Safety_Canada) on Twitter.
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister of Public Safety
Public Safety Canada
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women