SILVER SPRING, Md., Feb. 13, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- February is American Heart Month, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has a tool to help you achieve a heart-healthy lifestyle. It's called the Nutrition Facts Label, and it can be found on all packaged foods and beverages.
Now in its twentieth year, the Nutrition Facts Label helps you track the various nutrients you are getting from the foods you eat. In fact, it serves as your overall guide for comparing foods and making choices that can affect your long-term health!
Using Percent Daily Value (%DV) to Reduce Your Risk of Heart Disease
High blood pressure affects approximately one in three U.S. adults, or 75 million people. An additional 78 million adults suffer from slightly elevated blood pressure, which can turn into high blood pressure. High blood pressure forces the heart to work harder, and can lead to heart disease - the leading cause of death among men and women in the U.S.
Eating too much sodium, saturated fat, and cholesterol can increase your risk of developing high blood pressure and heart disease. You can use the Percent Daily Value (%DV) listed on the Nutrition Facts Label as a guide to determine if a serving of food is high or low in these nutrients. As a general rule, remember that 5%DV or less of a nutrient is low, and 20%DV or more is high!
To help reduce your overall risk of high blood pressure and heart disease, be sure not to go above 100% of the Daily Value for sodium, saturated fat, and cholesterol each day. The Daily Value for sodium is less than 2400 milligrams (mg) per day, the Daily Value for saturated fat is less than 20 grams (g) per day, and the Daily Value for cholesterol is less than 300 mg per day. Remember, the Daily Value for saturated fat is based on a 2000-calorie daily diet; your calorie needs may be different.
By using %DV on the Nutrition Facts Label to compare foods and the nutrients they contain, you can make heart-healthy choices at every meal.
For more information visit:
CONTACT: FDA Office of Public Affairs: +1-301-796-4540 Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20090824/FDALOGOU.S. Food and Drug Administration
Most Popular Stories
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'
- Detroit Free Press Julie Hinds column