US General John Allen is expected to withdraw
his candidacy for supreme allied commander of NATO, NBC news reported
Wednesday.
Allen's candidacy had been put on hold on suspicion of misconduct
in a sex scandal that took down former CIA director David Petraeus,
but the Pentagon last month cleared him of suspicion and the White
House said his nomination for supreme NATO commander would proceed.
Allen was considering withdrawing his candidacy to spare his
family questions about the affair during public confirmation hearings
before the Senate that pry into every corner of a person's career,
NBC reported. It cited three unnamed military sources in the story.
Secretary of Defence Leon Panetta, in a farewell news conference,
did not confirm Allen's intention to withdraw the nomination, but
said he had met with him on Tuesday.
Panetta said he had recommended to Allen that he take his time, be
with his family after returning from Afghanistan and think about what
he needed to do.
Panetta said he had told Allen: "'I think your country will always
find a way to make use of your great services, but you've got to make
the decision as to what you want to do in the future'."
Allen, who authored the US troop surge, on Sunday handed over his
command of NATO-led forces in Afghanistan to US Marine General Joseph
Dunford.
Panetta praised Allen's service as "pivotal" in changing the
direction of the war in Afghanistan for the better, and said he had
been under "tremendous amount of pressure" and challenges.
In the scandal, the CIA's Petraeus had had an extramarital affair
with his biographer. But the biographer-mistress, in turn, had sent
jealous harassing e-mails to another woman whom she knew had close
contact with Petraeus.
The second woman, who complained to the FBI about the harassing
mails from the mistress, was then found to be having detailed e-mail
exchanges with Allen.
After the Pentagon cleared Allen of misconduct, his nomination was
to have gone forward. NBC said Allen was to meet with President
Barack Obama in the coming days.
Most Popular Stories
- Fox, Twitter team up to promote TV shows, sell ads
- Guitar Center Sessions Updates on New Episodes Featuring The Smashing Pumpkins, Goo Goo Dolls, OneRepublic and Talib Kweli
- Cinedigm's Docurama Launches New YouTube Channel
- Daily Trivia Byte
- One hot summer
- Stars light up the stage in memory of gentle giant ; REVIEW [Birmingham Mail (UK)]
- Movieline Rolls Out into the Online Video Space
- CELEBRITY BIRTHDAYS [Birmingham Mail (UK)]
- CrowdIt Backs Springfield Area Filmmakers by Offering Complimentary Crowdfunding to Comedy Film Company
- Nikki Hill brings her raw energy and vintage style to Roanoke
News-To-Go
Advertisement
Advertisement
News Column
Report: US Gen. Allen Expected to Withdraw NATO Candidacy
Feb. 13, 2013
Advertisement
Source: Copyright 2013 dpa Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH
Story Tools



