Once again, it's crazy Apple rumor time. According to reports
from Chinese-language newspapers, as well as items in the New York
Times quoting anonymous sources "familiar with the situation," Apple
Inc. is creating a wristwatch with curved glass.
This sounds completely counterintuitive at first glance. Haven't cellphones and their time-telling capabilities made wristwatches redundant?
Then again, maybe it's wristwatches that just tell time that have seen their market shrink. Growing numbers of people are happily wearing activity monitors like Fitbits and Nike FuelBands that can help measure exercise and movement.
Apple products have been used as watches before. The sixth- generation iPod Nano - the device with the perfectly square shape - worked as a serviceable if somewhat chunky smartwatch thanks to wristband accessories.
Assuming the talk is true, Apple wouldn't be the first company to come out with a smartwatch. The recently released Pebble smartwatch links with smartphones over Bluetooth to give you call and message alerts, and it can be customized with various apps.
If nothing else, these Apple rumors just show how unpredictable the tech world can be. I didn't think we'd ever be wearing gadgets on our wrists again, but here we are.
Surface Pro in demand
I'm not a big fan of the Microsoft Surface Pro tablet - long story short, I can't get past the $899 entry price and expensive add- ons - but I can respect that other people might want it.
But these people might be out of luck. ZDNet is reporting that the 128 GB version of the Surface Pro is sold out, with the 64GB version not far behind.
Unfortunately, that's not necessarily a sign of roaring success just yet. ZDNet says it also found out that most stores received only a few Pros, with some stores getting just one.
So far, Microsoft Corp. isn't saying what's causing the shortage. Its only official statement is that it's working to replenish supplies as fast as possible.
Microsoft would love to capture Apple's magic, but I'm not sure it was hoping to emulate Apple's product scarcity.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women