OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 02/13/13 -- The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, issued the following statement today on the release of Jeffrey Paul Delisle from the Canadian Armed Forces:
"National and allied intelligence is fundamental in ensuring the safety of Canadians and our Government remains committed to its protection.
"Mr. Delisle's unauthorized disclosure of secret information is intolerable, inexcusable and inconsistent with the integrity and loyalty that Canadians expect from their men and women in uniform.
"Last Friday's sentencing confirmed that Mr. Delisle not only violated Canadians' trust, but also broke our laws, and the Canadian Armed Forces undertook an immediate review to determine appropriate consequences to his actions.
"This review is now finalized and its results are known to Mr. Delisle.
"Upon the recommendation of General Tom Lawson, Chief of the Defence Staff, His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, has approved the release of Jeffrey Paul Delisle from the Canadian Armed Forces and has revoked his commission.
"In addition, Mr. Delisle will forfeit his Canadian Forces Decoration, and his entitlement to severance pay. The Department of National Defence will also take the appropriate action to recover Mr. Delisle's pay from the date of his arrest to the current day.
"I assure Canadians that our Government continues to enhance our security procedures. In recent years, the Department of National Defence has undertaken a complete functional review and rewrite of our security policy suite and has been working with other department bodies to synchronize and adopt best practices. In October 2012, we established a Director General Security Transformation organization aimed at charting the future for defence security policy."
Most Popular Stories
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Gets Key Support in House
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- Scotch Whisky Sales Raise Distillers' Spirits
- Holiday Shopping Off to a Slow Start This Season
- Budget Deal Will Cut 220,000 Californians Out of Jobless Benefits
- Fake Deaf Interpreter Was Hallucinating, Has Schizophrenia
- Tea Party Glum in Face of Bipartisan Budget Deal
- Health Coverage Disparities Emerge Among States
- Futures Fall, Holiday Spending and Unemployment Up