It was time for South Florida's own Senator Marco Rubio to showcase himself as a potential presidential hopeful when he delivered a response to the president's State of the Union speech Tuesday night on national television.
But it was his thirst-quenching moment in the middle of the response that set off the snarky world of social media.
During his live speech, Rubio paused awkwardly to reach a tiny bottle of Poland Spring water and took a gulp.
Within minutes of the telecast, dozens raced to create new Twitter accounts related to Rubio's water bottle.
Twitter's own blog indicated that there were about 9,200 tweets per minute at about 10:43 p.m. ET, after Rubio's swig of the bottle. The hashtags #polandspring and #watergate were trending.
The memes showing Rubio drinking and captions like "Stay Thirsty" and "Republicans be like...We Thirsty #2016" were quickly posted along Instagram.
Social media savvy Rubio responded by tweeting a photo of the now-famous bottle of H20.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women