It was time for South Florida's own Senator Marco Rubio to showcase himself as a potential presidential hopeful when he delivered a response to the president's State of the Union speech Tuesday night on national television.
But it was his thirst-quenching moment in the middle of the response that set off the snarky world of social media.
During his live speech, Rubio paused awkwardly to reach a tiny bottle of Poland Spring water and took a gulp.
Within minutes of the telecast, dozens raced to create new Twitter accounts related to Rubio's water bottle.
Twitter's own blog indicated that there were about 9,200 tweets per minute at about 10:43 p.m. ET, after Rubio's swig of the bottle. The hashtags #polandspring and #watergate were trending.
The memes showing Rubio drinking and captions like "Stay Thirsty" and "Republicans be like...We Thirsty #2016" were quickly posted along Instagram.
Social media savvy Rubio responded by tweeting a photo of the now-famous bottle of H20.
Most Popular Stories
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- RFD-TV launches on Charter Cable
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Financial Times Twitter, Email Hacked
- Manila's Hollywood Week
- Ullman Says Penney Turnaround Will Take Time
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Return of Khan?
- Apple's iPhones, iPads Approved for Military Use, Sir Yes Sir!
- Under the alien ; Tulsa native Heather Langenkamp talks about how she got a part in the new "Star Trek" film.
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox