It was time for South Florida's own Senator Marco Rubio to showcase himself as a potential presidential hopeful when he delivered a response to the president's State of the Union speech Tuesday night on national television.
But it was his thirst-quenching moment in the middle of the response that set off the snarky world of social media.
During his live speech, Rubio paused awkwardly to reach a tiny bottle of Poland Spring water and took a gulp.
Within minutes of the telecast, dozens raced to create new Twitter accounts related to Rubio's water bottle.
Twitter's own blog indicated that there were about 9,200 tweets per minute at about 10:43 p.m. ET, after Rubio's swig of the bottle. The hashtags #polandspring and #watergate were trending.
The memes showing Rubio drinking and captions like "Stay Thirsty" and "Republicans be like...We Thirsty #2016" were quickly posted along Instagram.
Social media savvy Rubio responded by tweeting a photo of the now-famous bottle of H20.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder