British singer Adele says she was complimenting, not berating, recording artist Chris Brown at the Grammy Awards in Los Angeles this week.
A photo making the rounds has been interpreted by some in the media as indicating Adele was yelling at Brown, possibly for not participating in a standing ovation for Frank Ocean, a rival who defeated him in the Best Urban Contemporary Album category Sunday night at the Grammy Awards.
But Adele said she and Brown didn't exchange angry words at the event.
"Chris Brown and I were complimenting each other in that photo actually!" she tweeted, without offering details about the encounter.
Adele won the Grammy for Best Pop Solo Song for "Set Fire to the Rain" at Sunday's ceremony.
Brown has seen his popularity diminish after he pleaded guilty to assaulting his girlfriend Rihanna in 2009. He has since gotten into other high-profile altercations with artists, photographers and fans, as well.
Most Popular Stories
- U.S. Families 'Extraordinarily Vulnerable': Yellen
- Hillary Clinton to Address CHCI Conference
- Larry Ellison Steps Down as Oracle CEO
- Alibaba Prices IPO at $68 a Share
- Apple Locks Itself Out of Devices
- Veterans to Get Training as Solar Panel Installers
- Hispanics Doubt Marco Rubio's Chances
- Wildfires Rage in California
- John Cantlie Delivers ISIS Message to Save Life
- Alibaba: Today China, Tomorrow the World