British singer Adele says she was complimenting, not berating, recording artist Chris Brown at the Grammy Awards in Los Angeles this week.
A photo making the rounds has been interpreted by some in the media as indicating Adele was yelling at Brown, possibly for not participating in a standing ovation for Frank Ocean, a rival who defeated him in the Best Urban Contemporary Album category Sunday night at the Grammy Awards.
But Adele said she and Brown didn't exchange angry words at the event.
"Chris Brown and I were complimenting each other in that photo actually!" she tweeted, without offering details about the encounter.
Adele won the Grammy for Best Pop Solo Song for "Set Fire to the Rain" at Sunday's ceremony.
Brown has seen his popularity diminish after he pleaded guilty to assaulting his girlfriend Rihanna in 2009. He has since gotten into other high-profile altercations with artists, photographers and fans, as well.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama's Delay on Immigration Creates Uncertainty
- Obama on Labor Day: Don't Take Rights for Granted
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- California Passes First US Statewide Bag Ban
- New Hershey's Logo Revealed
- Buyer's Remorse on Common Core for Policymakers?
- Mexico's Pemex Forecasts 6.7% Drop in 2014 Crude Production
- American Airlines Back on Obitz
- Echeveste Steps Down, Perez Steps Up at VPE
- Startups Offer Smartphone Banking Apps