Two University of Maryland roommates are dead and a third is hospitalized in what Prince Georges County police are describing as a murder-suicide.
Officers found the three students when they responded to a report of a shooting at a house near the university just before 1 a.m. local time Tuesday, The Baltimore Sun reported.
Officer Nicole Hubbard said a preliminary investigation indicated one of the roommates started a small fire in the basement of the single-family home and all three went outside.
Police believe the student who started the fire fatally shot one of his roommates and injured the second roommate when he tried to flee, the Washington Post reported.
The suspect then went to the back of the house where he turned the gun on himself.
Names of the students have not been released pending notification of their families.
Most Popular Stories
- Microsoft's Cloud Platform Shines
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- New Effort to Ban Child Labor From Tobacco Farms
- Apple Pay Debuts With Few Issues
- Volatility No Reason to Bail on Stock Market
- Government: 500 Million Records Stolen in 12 Months
- More Hispanic Voters May Not Mean More Clout
- Pistorius Gets 5-year Sentence in Shooting Death
- Samsung Phones Cleared For U.S. Government Use
- Disney's Animated Feature 'Moana' Slated for 2016 Release