Giuseppe Orsi, the chairman and executive
director of Italy's state-controlled defence group Finmeccanica was
arrested Tuesday on charges of international corruption, local media
said.
Prosecutors suspect that the 51 million euros (68 million dollars)
that Finmeccanica paid to Swiss-based intermediaries in 2010 to win a
contract for the sale of 12 helicopters to India was, in fact, bribe
money, some of which ended up in the hands of Italian politicians.
Orsi, who was leading Agusta Westland at the time, had been under
investigation in relation to the allegations since April, and has
denied all the charges.
His successor at the helicopter firm, Bruno Spagnolini, was placed
under house arrest on Tuesday. Magistrates also asked Swiss
authorities to extradite the two intermediaries involved in the
affair.
In New Delhi, Indian Defence Minister AK Antony ordered an
investigation into the alleged bribery regarding the sale of the
helicopters, Defence Ministry spokesman Sitanshu Kar said.
New Delhi also said Italy had not shared details of the corruption
probe.
"We had asked the government of Italy to provide us information
that they may have in connection with the allegations, but we have
not received any response from them so far," Foreign Ministry
spokesman Syed Akbaruddin told reporters.
"The argument being that this is, in Italy, a judicial process ...
because the prosecutors are perhaps working under judicial
supervision, and therefore the executive is not able to share
information with us."
The helicopter deal is estimated at around 750 million dollars.
India began taking delivery of the choppers in December 2012, a
process that is to be completed by July.
Meanwhile, in a statement, Finmeccanica expressed its "solidarity"
towards Orsi and Spagnolini. It called on magistrates to conclude
their investigations as soon as possible and assured the "orderly
continuation" of its business.
Orsi was promoted to Finmeccanica's top position in December 2011
after his predecessor, Pierfrancesco Guarguaglini, resigned due to
allegations that, under his management, the company had created slush
funds to bribe public officials.
Magistrates are basing their investigations on testimonies from
Lorenzo Borgognoni, a former aide to Guarguaglini. He alleges that
part of the bribe money connected to the Indian contract was meant
for the Northern League, the party which backed Orsi's appointment.
The Northern League, a key member of the conservative coalition
led by former premier Silvio Berlusconi ahead of February 24-25
elections, strongly denies the claims.
On its website, Finmeccanica describes itself as "Europe's leading
defence systems company," with "significant production assets" in
Italy, Poland, Britain and the United States.
Last week, another major Italian company was tainted by scandal
when prosecutors said the chief executive of energy firm ENI, Paolo
Scaroni, had been placed under investigation because of a suspected
bribe to win business in Algeria.
Most Popular Stories
- iPhone 6 'Appears' on Vodafone U.K. Store as '4G iPhone 6'
- Fox, Twitter join in promotional partnership
- Summer Movie Forecast: Biggest Box Office Season Yet for 3D Movies
- Boman Modine Launches Kickstarter Campaign for Film About Cystic Fibrosis
- Fox, Twitter Team Up to Promote TV Shows, Sell Ads
- Hispanics Wanted in STEM Careers
- Microsoft Windows Update Will Be Free
- One Hot Summer as Theater Season Opens
- Cinedigm and Universal Studios Home Entertainment Enter Into Multiyear Home Entertainment Distribution Relationship
- Oak Cliff Film Festival announces lineup
News-To-Go
Advertisement
Advertisement
News Column
Italy Defense Firm Chief Held for India Graft Allegations
Feb 12, 2013
Advertisement
Source: Copyright 2013 dpa Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH
Story Tools



