Gabriel Gomez, a businessman and former Navy SEAL, Tuesday officially launched his Republican campaign for the U.S. Senate seat open in Massachusetts.
"I'm not a politician so I'll have a very different kind of campaign," Gomez said in a video unveiled on his campaign website.
His first words on the video were in Spanish, an attempt to reach out to Latino voters, the Boston Herald reported.
Gomez, a private equity investor from Cohasset, will face GOP state Rep. Dan Winslow in the April 30 primary if each can obtain the necessary 10,000 signatures to obtain a spot on the ballot.
U.S. Reps. Edward J. Markey and Stephen F. Lynch have also launched Senate bids, seeking the Democratic nomination, the newspaper said.
The Senate seat became available when John Kerry became secretary of defense.
Most Popular Stories
- Rackspace Ends Talks About Possible Acquisition
- Mercedes Rolls Out S550 Plug-in Hybrid
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Missouri GM Plant Adding 750 jobs
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Family Dollar Spurning Bid From Dollar General
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays
- Poverty Rate Drops for First Time Since 2006