Same-sex partners of members of the U.S. military will now be granted many of the same benefits of other military spouses, the Pentagon announced Monday.
Secretary of Defence Leon Panetta announced the changes that will allow gay and lesbian partners greater access to military bases and facilities and the ability to participate in family support programmes, among other benefits. Members of the military can also designate a same-sex partner as a recipient of other benefits, such as hospital visitation or life insurance.
"It is a matter of fundamental equity that we provide similar benefits to all of those men and women in uniform who serve their country," Panetta said.
He called taking care of the military and their families a core value of the US and said, "Extending these benefits is an appropriate next step under current law to ensure that all service members receive equal support for what they do to protect this nation."
The move comes after a 2011 repeal of a policy that had kept homosexuals from serving openly in the military.
Not all benefits will be extended to same-sex partners however, because of a federal law that prohibits the government from offering certain benefits to same-sex couples. That law, known as the Defence of Marriage Act, is to be considered by the Supreme Court on March 26 and 27.
That means same-sex partners will still not be provided with military housing or health insurance, but Panetta said he hoped those benefits could be extended in the future.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women