HERNDON, VA -- (Marketwire) -- 02/01/13 --
•Best January since 1974 with 29,018 units delivered and a 6.7 percent increase over the prior year •Chattanooga-built Passat had its best January ever with 8,856 units delivered •Best January for Golf since 2000 with 1,532 units delivered •Jetta sedan achieved 9,089 units in January •Sport utility vehicles, the Tiguan and Touareg, reported sales of 2,114 and 962, respectively •High-mileage, clean diesel TDI models accounted for 19 percent of sales in January
Volkswagen of America, Inc. (VWoA) today reported 29,018 units sold in January, a 6.7 percent increase over prior year sales. The company achieved 29 consecutive months of year-over-year growth and the best January since 1974. Over the last three years, the company has more than doubled its annual sales volume, demonstrating its long-term growth strategy, Mach 18, is gaining momentum in the U.S. market.
"With all the buzz that comes with the North American International Auto Show, the release of our Super Bowl advertisement, 'Get Happy,' and a full line-up of new and refreshed vehicles, Volkswagen is off to a solid start in 2013," said Jonathan Browning, President and CEO, Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. "While the economic conditions continue to be somewhat uncertain, we expect Volkswagen to achieve continued growth and to outpace the industry this year."
Volkswagen's 60-second Super Bowl XLVII advertisement stays true to the brand's storytelling heritage of "human stories, told simply." It builds on the upbeat themes of recent ads, "Smiles," released in September 2012, and last year's Super Bowl spot, "The Dog Strikes Back," named a leading 2012 ad on YouTube by Google. In 2011, VW released "The Force" Super Bowl ad, which received more than 56 million YouTube hits to date, and was recently named one of the best ads in the past 24 years by USA Today.
Last week, Volkswagen teased its 2013 Game Day spot with "Sunny Side," featuring well-known YouTube sensations, and renowned reggae artist Jimmy Cliff singing "The Partridge Family's" theme, "C'mon, Get Happy."
The Chattanooga-built Passat continues to deliver strong results with 8,856 units sold, marking its best January ever.
Most Popular Stories
- Sony Entertainment Network Offering Music Unlimited Service In Brazil
- Age is not an obstacle [Telegraph-Herald (Dubuque, IA)]
- audio reviews [Telegraph-Herald (Dubuque, IA)]
- Taylor Swift wins 8 trophies at Billboard Awards
- It's alive! Cinema from the slums ; A love of cult movies has turned into a semi-regular night of great bad films
- Coens deliver humorous and deeply felt movie
- Cannes festival surges into top gear ; Coen brothers take poll position in the race for the Palme d'Or
- Fred Armisen, Bill Hader bid special farewells to 'Saturday Night Live'
- Swift leads, Miguel hurts fans at Billboard Awards
- Cannes 2013: The musical side of the Coens' 'Inside Llewyn Davis'