OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 02/01/13 -- Today, the Honourable Lisa Raitt, Canada's Labour Minister, commended Garda Security Screening Inc., the United Steelworkers (USW) and the United Food and Commercial Workers International Canada (UFCW Canada) following ratification of new collective agreements by members at nine Ontario airports.
"I am very pleased that Garda Security Screening Inc. and both unions have reached agreements at several Ontario airports," said Minister Raitt. "Strong labour-management relations benefit the economic prosperity and security of Canadians."
The USW union independently represents some 220 employees at the Ottawa MacDonald-Cartier International Airport and about 230 employees working at airports in Sarnia, Hamilton, Kitchener/Waterloo region, Timmins, Windsor, Sudbury and Sault Ste. Marie. All of these employees are responsible for the airport security screening of passengers. Their previous collective agreements expired on March 31, 2012.
The UFCW Canada Local Union 175 represents about 35 employees at the Thunder Bay International Airport who are also in charge of security screening for passengers. Their previous collective agreements expired on March 31, 2012.
Garda is the largest pre-screening services provider to the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA).
The agreements were reached with assistance from the Labour Program's Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service. The Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service provides dispute resolution and dispute prevention assistance to trade unions and employers under the jurisdiction of the Canada Labour Code.
This news release is available in alternative formats upon request.
Follow us on Twitter
Office of Minister Raitt
Media Relations Office
Human Resources and Skills Development Canada
Most Popular Stories
- Reid: Bundy Backers Are 'Domestic Terrorists'
- Twitter Offers App Install Ads
- 'Boats 'N Hoes' PAC Sunk by Complaint
- Judge Tells Dad to Quit Emailing His Kids in All Caps
- Natural Gas Shoots Up on Bullish Stockpile Report
- Michaels Data Breach May Affect 2.6 Million Cards
- Legalize Marijuana But Not Hard Drugs, Say Americans
- Naya Rivera and Lea Michele: The 'Glee' Fight That Never Was?
- Larry Flynt Won't Stop Sending Porn to Congress
- Ex-BP Employee Settles Insider Trading Charges