By MARK KENNEDY
NEW YORK - Former "Gossip Girl" star Leighton Meester will make her Broadway debut next year as a beautiful temptress in the revival of "Of Mice and Men."
Producers said Monday that Meester will join James Franco and Chris O'Dowd in the story about an unlikely friendship between two migrant field workers in California during the Great Depression.
The story by John Steinbeck centers on big-dreaming George and the mentally challenged Lennie. Meester, who starred in the film "Country Strong," will play the wife of a ranch boss who fascinates Lennie - "she's purty," he tells his friend - and endangers their fates.
The play, which starts performances in March at the Longacre Theatre, has not been seen on Broadway in 40 years. Tony Award-winner Anna D. Shapiro will direct.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Small Businesses Could Get Paid Faster
- Challenger Raises Bar on Muscle Cars
- Correction: North Dakota Saltwater Spill Story
- Perez Picks Heavily Hispanic Districts in Recount
- Infiniti Exec de Nysschen to Head Cadillac
- Economists Sharply Cut Forecasts for U.S. Growth
- NHTSA Probes Ford Steering Problems
- Fight Against Teacher Tenure Gains Momentum
- Downside of Low Mortgage Rates: Less Selling
- Reynolds, Lorillard in Merger Talks