Dec. 06--Thad Cochran has decided to seek a seventh term in the U.S. Senate, his office confirmed this morning.
Cochrun, who will be 76 Saturday, has at least one primary challenger, Tea Party favorite state Sen. Chris McDaniel in the Republican primary. McDaniel announced his intention to run in mid-October.
Several mainline Republican officials were expected to run if Cochran decided to retire.
Cochran has served in the Senate since 1978 and is playing a key role in negotiating a farm bill deal with the House this month.
(c)2013 The Sun Herald (Biloxi, Miss.)
Visit The Sun Herald (Biloxi, Miss.) at www.sunherald.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Original headline: BRIEF: Cochran will run for seventh term in U.S. Senate
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- For Obama, a Last Stab at Improving Ties with Capitol Hill
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time
- 'Holy grail of guitars' OM-45 Deluxe Available in in NY Auction