YOUR report that another cinema could turn full-time to bingo - The Odeon, Shirley (Mailbox, May 28) - prompts me to ask if anyone who is interested would like to get in touch with me with a view to forming a nostalgic movies circle, to see and enjoy the many and varied films of the 30s to 50s era, especially musicals.
These are for hire on 16mm, which I myself do from time to time, and thoroughly enjoy in my own home. Who knows, we might even persuade the movie moguls to abandon bingo and make films that entertain, such as light comedy, romantic and frivolous ones, instead of the never-ending round of murder, sex and realistic rubbish, which passes for entertainment, thereby emptying our cinemas of movie-goers. Let's get back to films that entertain as they did in the golden age of Hollywood.
WNA Stone, Solihull Evening Mail, June 4, 1977
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- What to Expect From an Amazon Smartphone
- Clinton Sought GOP Support for Health Plan
- Auto Parts Plant Opening in Pa., Jobs on Tap
- Earnings Season Starts Rough for Health Insurers
- Saucedo Mercer Running on Empty in Arizona
- Spring Salmon Return to San Joaquin
- Venture Investments in U.S. Highest Since 2001
- IPO Market Shows Signs of Settling Down to Earth
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text