CARRIE is back and better than ever in this classic horror remake.
Director Kimberley Peirce has brought Brian De Palma's 1976 favourite right up to date in this stylish new film.
Taking over Sissy Spacek's iconic role as Carrie White is popular teen star Chloe Grace Moretz. The young actress, who has previously appeared in films such as Kick Ass and 500 Days of Summer, is joined by Julianne Moore who portrays her deeply religious mother.
The film sees Carrie, an unpopular teen, struggling through High School due to her devoutly religious upbringing.
She is ridiculed even further by the more popular girls following an embarrassing scene in the shower room.
However what her peers don't know, is that Carrie possesses telekinetic powers, which she unleashes on her tormentors when she is finally pushed too far.
For those who saw the first film this storyline stays true to the original but deviates slightly from Stephen King's writings. Despite its fresh young cast, modern soundtrack and references this film manages to retain the spirit and message of the original story.
Moretz is brilliant as the outcast Carrie, while Moore is completely terrifying and unhinged as her mother.
All credit has to go to the makeup department for achieving the seemingly impossible and making Julianne Moore look haggard and deranged.
Fortunately the film makers have resisted the urge to add in copious amounts of special effects which overshadow the plot.
It takes the viewer back to a simper time in the horror film genre, before the gore of Saw, and the psychological onslaught of Paranormal Activity. It's simply a brilliant, chilling story minus the ghosts and gore.
However there is lots of blood -- bucket loads in fact.
This remake is definitely worth a watch.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Obama's Overtime Initiative Praised, Condemned
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- Republicans Warn Obama on Immigration
- Liberty Media Drops Sirius Bid
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- Uli Hoeness, Bayern Munich President, Gets Prison for Tax Evasion
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy
- West Readies Harsh Sanctions Against Russia