Dec. 04--ORIENTAL -- The ongoing "Friday Flicks" at the Old Theater presents "Meet Me in St. Louis" on Dec. 20.
The film was released in 1944, a time when the world needed good, happy, entertaining movies.
A $5 ticket includes a cartoon, free popcorn and the next installment of the ever-popular serial "Commander Cody: Radar Men from the Moon."
The box office opens at 6:30 p.m. Doors open at 7 p.m. The movie begins at 7:30 p.m.
It is directed by Vincente Minelli. The film was second only to "Gone With the Wind" in box office sales. This was the film in which Judy Garland met Minelli; the two went on to marry, and have one daughter -- the famous Liza Minelli.
It was nominated for four Oscars -- Best Screenplay, Best Cinematography (Color), and two Best Music awards: one for an original song, "The Trolley Song," and one for best scoring.
The story follows the life of a comfortable middle class family living in 1903, the year before the St. Louis World's Fair.
Four daughters -- including Garland as Esther and Margaret O'Brien as the unforgettable Tootie -- face normal childhood and teenage highs and lows. Then, dad announces an upcoming move to New York. The family reluctantly prepares for the move, and the four daughters learn important lessons about family, life and love.
The music includes "The Trolley Song" and "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas."
It is suitable for the entire family.
(c)2013 the Sun Journal (New Bern, N.C.)
Visit the Sun Journal (New Bern, N.C.) at http://www.newbernsj.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- 'Holy grail of guitars' OM-45 Deluxe Available in in NY Auction
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Justin Bieber Loses Cool Over Selena Gomez
- For Obama, a Last Stab at Improving Ties with Capitol Hill
- Maya Angelou Cancels Milagro Gala Appearance Due to Illness