Perturbed by frequent power fluctuations which destroy consumer electronics, four students from
The young inventors, final year students in COMSATS’
”As a result, a lot of voltage fluctuation occurs, and whenever voltage crosses 220 volts, consumers’ electrical appliances get damaged,“ said Jadoon.
He added even MHPP owners were confronting problems.
”Without a load controller, electricity generation is a very time-consuming process and also causes immense losses,“ explained Jadoon.
Upon the group’s return, they conducted a brainstorming session and prepared a proposal for making an ELC.
”The Directorate of Science & Technology Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa approved the project and allocated
”The single phase version of the machine is called Electronic Load Controller Version 1 and has the capacity of 5 kilovolts (kvs),“ stated Jadoon.
The ELC will stabilise the power supply to the end user, saving their devices from damage along with ensuring safety to the power generator.
”If a village is using 20kv and the turbine is generating 30kv, the surplus power supply would be automatically diverted to heaters which have a capacity of 1,000 watts.“
”Our ELC’s market price is
Swati added they intended to develop an ELC Version II which would have a three phase capacity and a GSM messaging system for consumers to inform them if the load in the area is reduced or exceeding.
”Over 1,500 MHPPs are installed across Kaghan, Naran, Kohistan, Gilgit and Chitral. Since the K-P government is encouraging small hydropower plants instead of big dams, our machine would be in high demand in days to come, said
”At the moment, we can manufacture 10-12 units of ELCs in a month,“ said Omar.
However, he maintained financial support of the government was imperative for the sustainability of their project.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign