ENP Newswire -
Release date- 30122013 -
When a target material binds with a sensor, a change in electrical output is induced.
'Although this bio-nano sensing platform wasn't developed with drug sensing in mind, this program leverages our bio-nano sensor expertise towards a specific drug testing problem. The fact that our sensor platform has the potential to be small, lightweight, user-friendly, and fieldable in addition to being generic enough to be tailored towards synthetic cannabinoid detections made it a unique fit to fill this specific drug detection need,' noted Dr.
Synthetic marijuana overdoses have proved fatal in in some cases. First-line treatment for these drugs often includes administration of a benzodiazepine or another sedative. However, the many different types of synthetic marijuana can make toxicology testing a significant challenge.
In most of
Over the past few decades, researchers have created hundreds of chemicals that can trigger the cannabinoid receptors in the human brain. While some forms of synthetic marijuana can trigger the same euphoric mental effects as natural marijuana, they often carry a significant number of risks.
Synthetic marijuana products often include chemicals like HU-210, JWH-073, JWH-018, and cannabicyclohexanol. While many of these chemicals were made illegal, clandestine chemists can adjust the molecular structure of synthetic marijuana, allowing new varieties to circumvent existing laws. Some strains of synthetic marijuana have been associated with an increased risk of heart attacks, kidney damage, high blood pressure, vomiting and other symptoms. Long-term use of some synthetic marijuana strains has been associated with psychosis and addiction.
[Editorial queries for this story should be sent to email@example.com]
((Comments on this story may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org))
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?
- Obama Seeks to Stay Neutral in CIA-Senate Conflict
- GM Recall Poses First Major Test for New CEO